Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, What are the HP possibility's with the d16y7 with a y8 head and a turbo with around 8-10psi?

Just all around what all do y'all recommend?
My budget is $4000-$5000

I will be sticking it into a 1991 CRX SI.

I know with 4-5k I can get into an LS swap, but I'm not wanting to go bseries. And I highly doubt it will cost that much anyways, but I am willing to put that into it and I figured y'all would want to know my budget.

I have a y7 motor that I have from a 97 civic. It burns oil, so I will be breaking it down to replace the guides, but I figured while I have it apart might as well see what internals they offer for it cause I'm wanting to turbo it.

I have a D16Y7 laying around and I have a CRX SI laying around, so I'm wanting to build a little toy :)
I am thinking of putting a z6 or y8 head on, but not sure which one I should use when turboing it.

Also, will the stock CRX transmission be able to bolt up to the y7 block?

Sorry for the overly NOOB post, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so apparently I'm unable to post a link because I haven't submitted enough posts.

The place I'm look into getting the turbo kit from is call SSAutochrome. com
Just google it and then click on turbo kits near the bottom left side and the it brings up a list of categories and it has one specifically Honda D15/16 vetc/non-vtec

Check out that site and let me know which turbo setup would be best.
I have never turboed anything before, so I'm not sure which one I'll need to use.

About the tuning... Again. What do y'all recommend? Will a p28 work? I have a local shop that will be able to dyno it for me.

I will be building it.

What other parts will I need other than obvious y8 T-Belt, head gasket, y7 water pump, ect...???

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, are the y7 and y8 blocks the same?
Isn't the only difference between the motors is that the y8 is vtec and thats all in the head.

So I guess my real question is whenever I'm looking at what internals to purchase for the bottom end does it have to be y7 specific?

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
Pistons are generally listed for certain motors but will work between d series only difference will be in the end compression numbers (numbers listed with piston are specific to that head) rods will work between d series

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
Are cast pistons okay to run with a turbo or should I stick to forged???
what are your power goals? like slo says, the info is here.

keyword vitara...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know what my power goals can be?

I've been looking around at whats offered for a quality build and so far I have been deciding to go with...

Block - CP Pistons 75.5mm, Manley H beam Rods, I may need a crank, if so I'll be sticking with a stock crank and main bearings.

Head - Skunk2 70mm Intake and TB, Bisimoto Cam, Bisimoto Valves, Springs, and Retainers, and an AEM Cam Gear.

On the Bisimoto Camshaft it lists several different options just for turbos such as... 1.2, 2.4, 3.6 but my problem is I don't know what the Dseries can handle therefore I dont know which option to choose.

What do y'all think of the setup so far?
If I were to build it as such what would I be able expect?

I'm aiming for close to 300whp.

·
Registered
97 EJ6 boosted D16Z6
1,079 Posts
I'm aiming for close to 300whp.
vitaras/eagles and an otherwise stock engine with a decent t3/t4 turbo kit should get you there.
fuel pump, injectors + tuning
now impress us!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,102 Posts
I think you need to do a bunch of reading if youre looking at bisi products. 70mm throttle is overkill. have you looked in the showcase section? bro, youre seriously making it out to be like you haven't done any of the leg work. theres builds with 500+ hp in the showcase. theres people who were aiming for 300hp at the crank and make 304 at the wheels. stop being lazy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts