Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone,

I am rather new to this. I purchased a 2000 Honda Civic Ex about a year ago. I have had an issue with coolant leaking into a cylinder - told to me by mechanic. I've parked the car for a while, and I am now working on it myself.

After digging into everything, I discovered this car has already had an engine and head swap performed. This car is supposed to have the D16Y8.

So Engine block is D16Y7, and the head is a P2J-7. From what I have read, this combination should work.

I am in the process of removing the head, and was going to take it to a machine shop to get rebuilt/resurfaced.

In regards to the current configuration, is there anything I should check to make sure the swap was done correctly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to add quickly - I'm not a noob working with engines. I spent a year in auto tech back in high school - 15 years ago. I am comfortable working on the engine, just not haven't done work this deep in a long time.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
a d16y7 block with a d16y8 head means you have nearly an extra point of compression.

Basically, the car is now faster and gets a touch better fuel mileage, while running comfy on the d16y8 ecu.

The only thing to verify is that the oil jet was removed from the d16y7 block, middle back on deck. can find images online if not comfortable just diving in.

vtec would not function if it was missed.

Treat the car as a typical head gasket failure. The valve guides are notorias for being garbage beyond 100k miles. Ask the amchine shop to replace all of them at the same time with a set of aftermarket guides. Then have the shop recut the valve seats, as the guides will not be EXACTLY in the same place, and new seats means the valve has the best possible chance of sealing properly for good compression

1 - 4 of 4 Posts