Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I've recently bought a 1999 lx civic with the d16y7 and auto obd2b.

What my question is (yes I've used the search) I have a donor car 1996 hx civic with a d16y5 5 speed obd2a. I need to replace the trans on the lx and rear main seal so I wanted to see if I could throw the hx trans and head along with the p2n ecu and jumper harness. Would that work or would it be more trouble than what it's worth. I'm not looking for performance, and I know I have to rip the pedals and everything else for the 5 speed swap. I'd just like to get the car going. Could I also just switch the intake mani and throttle body from the hx to the y7 head ? Thanks alot!

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
hx has its own weird stuff going on. most of its wiring is obd2a, and some colors carry to obd2b, yet 96-00 hx civics all match while rest of civics rely on 96-98 obd2a sections and 99-00 obd2b only sections.

Would be much easier to follow the manual swap guides and keep it Y7 (with Hx tranny) for now, and when you are ready for more power, use a 99-00 EX ( y 8 ) harness and ecu, with a 96-98 y8 cylinder head.

you can keep the auto ecu for now, and deal with auto codes, and the CEL codes for trans errors

EDIT why does the car need work? did something in the Y7 valvetrain give out? whats the scoop?

DOUBLE EDIT, or you can opt to put the entire HX drivetrain, harness, and ecu into your car and have economy vtec manual going into action. you will need to do minor mods to dash harness, as the engine harness plugs in slightly differnet. I do not know the exact specifics

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply, the y7 engine is perfectly fine but the rear main seal is leaking bad and the auto is slipping so since the trans has to come off anyways I wanted to throw the 5 speed in

So if everything stays y7 and I put the hx 5speed with the auto ecu would I need a different intake manifold ? Or could I just put the hx intake mani on the y7 head

The d16y5 engine threw a rod

I'd love to save the time instead of swapping heads to make the y7 into a y5 I thought that was the only way

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the quick reply, the y7 engine is perfectly fine but the rear main seal is leaking bad and the auto is slipping so since the trans has to come off anyways I wanted to throw the 5 speed in

So if everything stays y7 and I put the hx 5speed with the auto ecu would I need a different intake manifold ? Or could I just put the hx throttle body on the y7 intake manifold ?

I'd love to save the time instead of swapping heads to make the y7 into a y5 I thought that was the only way

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
READ THIS ONE

So if everything stays y7 and I put the hx 5speed with the auto ecu would I need a different intake manifold ? Or could I just put the hx throttle body on the y7 intake manifold

Sorry for all the post this is the edit and I still don't know how to navigate the forum on my phone

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,016 Posts
cant you just swap the transmission over and do the auto to manual conversion?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been doing more research and I think I answered my own question

Everything should work but since I'm using the auto ecu I'll just deal with the CEL I thought I would have problems with the throttle body

1 - 7 of 7 Posts