Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
okay putting a d16y7 in and the head is cracked cant find a non vtec head and im getting conflicting information
so what is different when u put a 98 ex vtech head on a d16y7 ?

timing belt?
head gasket?
some say spark plug and disto and wires as well ?

plus some say u can keep the stock intake other say get teh y8 intake if i can avoid spending extra on parts i would prefer to reuse atm because the 81 civic is great except the motor made 60 hp new 41 years ago... still running but again lacks any HP still seems as god as new but... doubt its anywhere close to rate hp

so im changing my 97dx 3door to a K24 and will have teh d16y7 left minus a head (CRACKED) any help anyone has greatly appreciated i have heard the mini me (d15 not d16 so when i find info its on the d15 block ) has different gaskets and other mods and no one seems to have complete documented teh parts and changed needed clearly lots of accrnims which i never seem to understand

correct me if im incorrect we would be able to just swap the head using the z6 gasket which is smaller and so the belt wouldn't
be the d16y7 belt ? but the one for the vtec d16? o_O or? even if we didnt very wire teh vtec up it should work ???

again any help greatly appreciated please
help keep the mohonda alive

i know "how dare you this is an 81 honda";)
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
90 Civic LX / 90 CRX HF
81 Posts
First off, sweet 2nd gen.

From what I understand its pretty much the same as a D15b7/D16z6 mini me :
Some ol' forum post

Timing belt should be a D16z6. Headgasket is preference, but I believe the Y8 is 2 layered and metal. Spark plug, dizzy, and wires are all gonna be whatever the head uses. Also realize that now you'll have to run a new ecu with vtec or convert your current ecu to have it if you wish to utilize it.

D15b7 / D16z6 Mini me write up:
Here

Surprisingly harder to find D16y7 and D16z6 mini me write ups. Plenty of D16y7 D16y8s and so forth. Could always just throw the whole engine in, money be damned ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Some ol' forum post

Timing belt should be a D16z6. Headgasket is preference, but I believe the Y8 is 2 layered and metal. Spark plug, dizzy, and wires are all gonna be whatever the head uses. Also realize that now you'll have to run a new ecu with vtec or convert your current ecu to have it if you wish to utilize it.

Here

Surprisingly harder to find D16y7 and D16z6 mini me write ups. Plenty of D16y7 D16y8s and so forth. Could always just throw the whole engine in, money be damned ;)
lol yeah if i go that route may be a k24 in the second gen lol that would be funny 1600lbs car with a motor out of a 3k lb car lol

okay the honda dealer says its the same belt and gasket from 97dx (block d16y7) to a 98ex which is the y8 head i believe

thanks i love my 81 civic best car i have ever owned used as a daily driver until 2014 still has 1.5l cvcc motor but its weak HP plus teh 5 gear broke so its a 4 ish 5 speed lol so i only get 33 mpg not the 40mpg i used to get
so hopefully the d16 will make it fun again

okay thanks again for the quick reply

Some ol' forum post

Here

also how is dizzy easier than dist or distro or my fave el spark spinner
it requires people to google that or interact with humans lol mi have seen that liek alot in the last week and been like whats a dizzy lol

aGAIN YOU ROCK FOR YOUR QUICK REPLYS

Some ol' forum post

Here

CAN YOU EXPLAIN MORE about TEH ECU (sorry for caps) thing i have seen lots of talk about change ecu or getting wired differnt which is better as my 81 has no ecu and is still cvcc carb motor (for post EMP i keep the power off the circuits even when not in use any one without a non computer car will be sad and walking for years before they fix the post emp but im digresssing as i will no only have 3 cars instead of 4 for post EMP lol)

so i was hoping to reuse teh computer (ecu yes? im not one to ever use accronims too many of them are teh same liek ATM... AUTO TELLER MACHIINE or at the moment or @__ to mouth to hard to sort out) y7 intake since i havce that some say it works other say no need the y8 and yeah y8 bigger runners to ports but 120 hp vers 60 hp is a world of gain it will make my car ins increase if i tell them (hardisty)

·
Registered
90 Civic LX / 90 CRX HF
81 Posts
Well if I understand correctly you'd be replacing the E series engine (just learned thats a thing lol) with a mini me D16y7/D16a6. I will be honest and say that my knowledge of this swap is next to non existent. It seems that there are examples of it being done, even with B series engines, but I don't think there is any aftermarket mounts available for purchase. That pretty much means that you'd be doing all the fabrication work yourself (Unless you got a shop to do that and lots of dollars).

To answer your ECU or computer question, your best bet would be to grab a wiring harness out of an EG and or EK. You'll also more than likely have to modify said harness. ECU P28 is what came with a D16z6.

Intake wise the y7 intake will bolt up and work but I believe that the IACV is a different config but I'm not 100 percent sure. Most anecdotal evidence points to the z6 intake mani to be the best for most uses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if I understand correctly you'd be replacing the E series engine (just learned thats a thing lol) with a mini me D16y7/D16a6. I will be honest and say that my knowledge of this swap is next to non existent. It seems that there are examples of it being done, even with B series engines, but I don't think there is any aftermarket mounts available for purchase. That pretty much means that you'd be doing all the fabrication work yourself (Unless you got a shop to do that and lots of dollars).

To answer your ECU or computer question, your best bet would be to grab a wiring harness out of an EG and or EK. You'll also more than likely have to modify said harness. ECU P28 is what came with a D16z6.

Intake wise the y7 intake will bolt up and work but I believe that the IACV is a different config but I'm not 100 percent sure. Most anecdotal evidence points to the z6 intake mani to be the best for most uses.

yeah i will be fabing a mounting and etc for this it will be a lot of work again not as easy as teh 97dx to k24 swap with all parts available wasnt going to do it but hate to waste a d16 plus i cant imagine having more than 200 hp in a second gen even teh fun non us city ii only made 100 hp in that tiny box and if i could find the turbo for a city ii i would keep the cvcc block because 120 hp is plenty and they say racers in Aus used to get close to 200hp out of the cvcc with a good toon on the turbo city ii system mr hondas son made because he said hondas are boring lol
also cvcc is very cool design if you havent fallen in that hole yet
i also have a 1970 opel gt that im goign to put a k24 in as well should be fun to drive when completed also when you take a motor and put in a pre injection car it amazing how little you have to connect wire wise and for some reason thats easier for my brain to handle so i think gettign the ecu from teh ex head donor

also incase anyone asks about the 98ex the PARTS ORACLES at Honda in town SAID this information about the distro you can use the 97 dx distro if the 98ex wasnt a jdm so the canidian units will use same distro the way to tell if the 98 is a JDM is teh VIN first letter is J
ALSO THE 97 DX HEAD BOLT AND 98 EX BOLTS ARE TEH SAME
WATER PUMP SAME
BELT SAME

yes cvcc is the e series motor the best part is i live in a very hick fill part of the country and everyone has a huge truck im in my tiny 3 doors and love to just in to car converstions with them normally i just say my 12 valve then every one assumes its a diesel pkup not a tiny 3 door ;-)

Son wants me to repaint it he hates teh patina and wants it pink to push buttons lol kids right
i liek teh rusted out 40 year old shitbox honda when the d16 is in people will be like wtf... add huge turbo and this will be teh last car i drive because i will crash and die lol

thanks again mate will check out the links saw lots of good info you rock

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
There is a difference in electronics between the sub gens, 6th gen being 96-00, sub gens being OBD2a 96-98, and OBD2b 99-00

For getting things running, it will be easiest to track down any 94-95 integra, 94-95 internal coil accord, or any 92-95 civic in the dx/lx/ex/si flavors for wiring (internal coil regarding distributor and ignition coil that some accords and preludes had external). This provides an OBD1 92-95 style engine harness.

THen use speeduino and the new OBD1 adapter board.

Now you simply need to ask, do you want a brand new harness, a premade aftermarket harness designed to be tucked or modified, or junkyard?

No need for the now-problem prone OBD1 or obd2a/b ecu's (age is a bitch, capacitors and solder joints). A full speeduino kit can be had for $160 to $200 if you can find one in stock.

A 2001-2005 D17 manual transmission can be used if you want a cable shifter. THe Speed sensor should be compatable electrically, though you will need to wire in teh plug, as it is different to older hondas, I THINK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whatever you do post it here with pics plz!
Had to let go of my 81 that looked just like that but more bent-up cuz 2 many things were failing and couldn't find replacements. Bought it from a guy who rebuilt it from a crash & I drove it for 30 years. I hear u about underpowered! K24 would be insane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts