Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a D16y7 with a Jacksonracing supercharger. The person I bought it from had the wrong belt on it. I ordered the right belt and I put it on. I started my car and noticed that the alignment in my belt/pulleys is off. It is just slowly eating my new belt. My alternator is also not working. I tested my battery with it running and it is not working.
Do I need a new alt pulley, spacer, or bracket?
Also, Can anyone show me a picture of the bracket I need?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
i had the same problem. The alt pulley bolt had backed off the alt. causing the belt to "wobble" and appear when moving to be off. And mine too had the wrong belt. I crossed referenced the right belt to napa and got one of their 4 rib belts. Bought a new lifetime warrenty alt. and did work. Now if i can just get the damn alt. bracket screw to stay from backing off i'd be good

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. Well I forgot to mention that the alternator and wiring harness are both brand new.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had the same problem. The alt pulley bolt had backed off the alt. causing the belt to "wobble" and appear when moving to be off. And mine too had the wrong belt. I crossed referenced the right belt to napa and got one of their 4 rib belts. Bought a new lifetime warrenty alt. and did work. Now if i can just get the damn alt. bracket screw to stay from backing off i'd be good
It's all on there tight. Just the alignment is off. Maybe not positioned right? Maybe the lower idler isn't spaced right? I don't know. It has a brand new alt. and wiring harness but it still doesn't show that the alt is even working. I know a guy that had this problem and he put the right alt bracket in and it worked fine. I think this car was running just fine before the guy sold it to my friend. then my friend did something. He ended up replacing the alternator and belt. Now the alternator is not working. I am taking it to napa tomorrow to test it. But that still doesnt help me out with the problem. Lol. I don't know. I am stumped and losing patience.

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
5,973 Posts
pic please to show alignment issue..?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pic please to show alignment issue..?
I cant really get a pic, just the belt is off by 1/8", if i had the right lower alt bracket it would align it, I dont know if it would make my alt work or not, but I dont know where i can order one or even see a pic of one to see if I have the right bracket or not.. I am lost.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I have the right upper bracket. Just not sure if I have the right lower bracket. If I had the right lower one, it should sit the alternator closer to the firewall and get rid of the alignment issue. Maybe? As far as the fact my Alternator isn't working? I am getting it tested in the morning but those auto parts stores are never reliable. Hmm. It was running before. So maybe something else is just throwing my alignment off, and the alternator is just a bad alternator. It is a napa.. Lol. I have no idea though. What JRSC set-up are you running?

·
Registered
30 Posts
i ran the y8 kit and i had no issues but i also had it on a y8, only problem was how close the pulley was to the shocktower

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
I have a A6 and a Y7 kit and I can assure you that the alternator brackets are identical. There's a spacer included in the Y7/Y8 kits that I believe goes between the alt bracket and the alternator to off-set it more towards the oil filter, fixing the alignment issue...but I've never installed one on a Yx so I'm not completely sure.

Remember, there are two mounting points for the alternator. One is the stock lower mount that is re-used and one is the JRSC alternator bracket. The question: if the alternator is not bolted on the top mount (JRSC bracket) can it be moved left or right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a A6 and a Y7 kit and I can assure you that the alternator brackets are identical. There's a spacer included in the Y7/Y8 kits that I believe goes between the alt bracket and the alternator to off-set it more towards the oil filter, fixing the alignment issue...but I've never installed one on a Yx so I'm not completely sure.

Remember, there are two mounting points for the alternator. One is the stock lower mount that is re-used and one is the JRSC alternator bracket. The question: if the alternator is not bolted on the top mount (JRSC bracket) can it be moved left or right?
i dont believe so, the stock lower alternator bracket has no ajustability in it beside forward and backwards, im pulling my engine today and ill check for the spacer but i dont believe i used one when i installed it and i had no allignment issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, I really need to get this thing running.
I thought the lower alt. bracket was just like the stock one. Just machined down some.
Tell me what you find when you pull your engine.
Post pics of the lower alt bracket and any spacers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is a make shift picture of my problem.
With the wrong belt on it, the alignment wasn't an issue.
With the right belt on it, the alignment is an issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you have the stock lower altinator bracket on then the alternator is lined up with your crank pulley, is youre supercharger pulley not lining up with the altenator and crank pulley?

·
Meat Popsicle
2,918 Posts
Posting this for reference sake. This is not my pic, it belongs to sql_civic!

1.) are you using the JR crank pulley pictured above?
2.) Is your blower pulley 3 ribs?

and the big question:

-Is there any side-to-side movement on the lower alternator bracket (OEM) when the top bolt is removed from the JR bracket? This is the key to the entire thing. Whether it's achieved by a 'modified' JR alt bracket or via a spacer, it's not going to matter if the lower bracket doesn't allow the alternator to slide over towards the engine block.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts