Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 ej2
731 Posts
Nipple on the side of the wastegate goes to the nipple on the compressor housing. Thats the best way to do it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that helps uk how there's 2 nipples there both on the side.i have a turbo smart waste gate I'm sure there junk lol but it's what I'm workn with I'm guessing ts the first nipple closest to the manifold

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
turbosmart makes a great product, i have their wastegate and boost controller. if i remember right you use the bottom port on the wastegate, the top port you can supply boost pressure to and it will help keep it closed until your wastegate pressure is reached

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
33 Posts
Turbosmart does make good products. I've been using the ultra-gate for a few years now. You would want to hook the bottom port up to a pressure source, not a vacuum source. As mentioned a nipple on the compressor housing would be a really good option. The top port would be used in a "closed loop" manual boost controller situation or in conjunction with an EBC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right I didn't think turbo smart was ba eather but wasn't sure I have a t3t4 turbonetics but now when I start it gets hot really quick like 25 seconds after starting it the exhaust manifold is hot as hell

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm ic thanks for the input I'm new to the turbo scene one more thing it's blowing black smoke out the waste gate that dnt seem right lol but idk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm thinkn it might need a good time bc it's like spudeeing and the tent otter response ain't all there I jus put a new head on it bc it was a mini me set up d16y7 block y8 head I put a y7 head on it gt rid of the mini me

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
Nipple on the side of the wastegate goes to the nipple on the compressor housing. Thats the best way to do it
boost stays steady when the waste gate line is connected after the intercooler but before the throttle body. some people even hook it up to the intake manifold, which is not recommended cause it could damage the waste gate diaphtam. the pressure drop from the intercooler was causing me to loose a few psi of boost.

heres where I hooked mine up to. I get a steady 10 psi all the way to redline...

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Pix of everything help also but I'll try to answer your questions.

Hmm ic thanks for the input I'm new to the turbo scene one more thing it's blowing black smoke out the waste gate that dnt seem right lol but idk
This could be because you need a tune or you left out the fire ring in the wastegate and the exhaust is just coming out at idle.

I'm thinkn it might need a good time bc it's like spudeeing and the tent otter response ain't all there I jus put a new head on it bc it was a mini me set up d16y7 block y8 head I put a y7 head on it gt rid of the mini me
could need a tune. You didn't post enough information. Or it could be off a tooth. Cam to crank.

Could I leave the top poet open if I'm not running a boost controller atm
Top port must be open. It's a vent port. When the pressure opens the wastegate from the bottom it will push air out the top port. If it is plug the wastegate won't open.

Right I didn't think turbo smart was ba eather but wasn't sure I have a t3t4 turbonetics but now when I start it gets hot really quick like 25 seconds after starting it the exhaust manifold is hot as hell
Turbo setup can output up to 500 degree s easily.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
boost stays steady when the waste gate line is connected after the intercooler but before the throttle body. some people even hook it up to the intake manifold, which is not recommended cause it could damage the waste gate diaphtam. the pressure drop from the intercooler was causing me to loose a few psi of boost.

heres where I hooked mine up to. I get a steady 10 psi all the way to redline...

Yes.
The wastegate should never see vacuum. It will pull the diaphragm out of its seal and can cause it to rip.
And that is a good spot to put the line if you want max boost.
It will open the wastegate basically when the manifold hits 10psi after ontercooler drops opening when the turbo outputs 10psi before intercooler drop. Giving you only about 8 to 9 psi at the intake.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
this one little change made a huge difference. I use thick lines as well, not regular vacuum lines.

before I did this I was only seeing probally 6 psi at higher rpms. im running the stock dsm t25 wastegate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll take some pics wen I get home it's idling mad weird to I hav a y8 mani on a y7 motor I wonder if I shuld switch em out. I'm gunna redo the timing first

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
this one little change made a huge difference. I use thick lines as well, not regular vacuum lines.

before I did this I was only seeing probally 6 psi at higher rpms. im running the stock dsm t25 wastegate.

psi. pressure pre sq inch.
a thicker line would take up more space and needs to be pressurized to a higher level. it might only be a few points of a psi but it still needs more.
When moving the line after the intercooler you get more boost because the turbo is outputting more boost before the wastegate see anything.

i.e the turbo outputs 10 to the intercooler but the psi drops and you only end up with 8 at the intake manifold.
so if you run the from the intake or right before it. the turbo will out put 12psi but yet you get 10 at the intake after the ic drops the pressure.

·
Registered
crx
2,683 Posts
I ended up eliminating all vacuum ports except one for the FPR and another for the brake boosted which T's off to the BOV..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts