Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 civic hatch
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have a d16y7 that has about 6,000 miles on the rebuild everything is stock. This problem has stated to get worse over a short period of time (2 weeks) if I let it get to operating temperature and drive for over 15 minutes it will consistently have the same problem when I shut it off and let it sit for about a minute. I'll turn the key and it won't want to start easy after it does it acts like it's misfiring but I don't get any cel codes and it smokes like a freight train until I rev it up above 3,000 rpm's I can smell burnt coolant when it's smoking at start up. Thing is if I let it cool down it doesn't smoke/misfire I have no clue why it's doing this, blown head gasket? My oil and coolant leves are fine. If anyone has I site on this it would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading

·
Registered
Prelude, Integra DB9
358 Posts
If your head gasket is gone between cylinders without breaking into the coolant bores, you might be able to smell it in the overflow tank.

·
Registered
92 civic hatch
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did notice today when it happened I poped the hood and the overflow tank was bubleing. Should I just do a compression check?

·
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER
10,488 Posts
If you have only 120psi in any cylinder you failed at rebuilding your engine. A leak down would give you a better idea of what to look for when it's apart.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Nope.....usually a test like that points to the head, hence the leak down test to be sure.

·
Registered
92 civic hatch
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alrighty I'll do a leak down test tomorrow and see what kind of results I get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts