Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i blew my headgasket and ive decided to get a new engine, ill be sticken with a d-series for the moment (i have a b18c sitting at my house, but i need to build it a bit get an itr tranny with lsd, clutch, flywheel, mounts, etc)
my local car shop has both a d15b jdm engine and a usdm d16y7 (few mods, such as aem fuel rail, cam and cam gear.(d16y7 was also an automatic, whereas d15b was a manual)

i have a vtec head sitting at my house, it has a jg dynamics stage 2 head kit.

the mods that we will going on the engine is just a aem cold air, dc sports 4-2-1 one piece header, 2.25" exhaust no resonaor to a no brand name spoon n1 style muffler

which one?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i can get both longblocks for 300$, there not a difference in prince, i just want some info on both and to see why people whould choose the d16y7 over the d15b and visa versa

·
Registered
19 Posts
IMO, im going w/ a Y7. im sort of in the same shoes. afaik, the Y7 diffinately has more power, but its an OBD2 motor. you can bolt in the Y7 and use your existing harness, ecu, etc. since the Y7 doesn't have a knock sensor, you won't have to wire for one.

use your existing intake mani, exhaust mani, etc. should work fine. also, don't worry about a crank sensor because they don't have one either.

if you do a mini-me swap, then you'd have to wire for Vtec, and use a better ecu.

the D15B is a direct swap as well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Y7 dont have knock sensor.....

Y7=107 crank hp
D15Bvtec=125-127 crank hp

D15b have a better oil pump, better rod ratio.....it can take more abuse than a Y7 but you will lose some low end torque compared to the Y7.

I vote D15B...

·
Registered
605 Posts
are u gonna keep the y7 an auto ??????????

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they will both be vtec

z6 head on the y7 with a jg stage 2 headkit or
d15b vtec with stage 2 head kit

no it will not be auto, lol, im not converting my manual car to an auto, ever

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
i say d15b vtec. as said before it has better oil pump, better rod ratio.
I blew my y8 up9same EXACT bottom end as the y7) im now going JDM d15b.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive been hearing about a d16Z any opions on that motor? and info, ive been hearing about it off and on with my search for a good d-series

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
if your gonan swap go with either the y7, a zc vtec, or a z6
everybody acts liek the d15b is some godly motor because of its rs ratio lol
i bet i make more tq and more hp throughout the rpms with my zc vtec than a d15b.. AND finding internals is easy....
everyone with a d15b bags on everything else.... when theyve never dealt with or ran ANYONE with a zc... ive ran d15bs... not im pressed at all
so what if you can rev to 8k SAFER.. i rev to that all the time, no problems, and make more whp and tq lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
was their a jap spec version for the sohc z6 motor tho, thats kinda what i ws yalking about

whats an hg?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ah coo, im going to look into the zc then

ive blown this headgasket before, motors been throught alot and i didnt get the right torque specs so its tighter than it should have been.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yea go with the zc vtec i just swaped out my 15bvtec for one. And as stated above it feel much better through out the rpm range

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the zx is the exact same thing as the us spec, but in what ways? ive heard there were dohc zc but that was for 4th gens only, the zc for a jspec is?

just wondering becasue i have a eldelbrock turbo kit at my buddies house that i might end up using id the rules of the local track dont put me into a higher class

1 - 20 of 21 Posts