Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing my D16Y7 with another i got from a salvage yard. I am using the motor, tranny and clutch from the salvage vehicle. They have 121,000 miles and I got the whole setup for $850. What should I replace or add before I place the new (used) setup in my car? I am going to replace the spark plugs, wires, timing belt, tranny seals and i was told to replace the main seal which I will figure out when I get into the project. What upgrades could I add while I have the setup out of the car? What upgrades are available for the D16Y7? A lot of questions, I know, but whatever input you may have on this would help.

·
d-series Member
3,134 Posts
if he goes boost the y8 head isnt really necessary, but n/a it'd be good...
oh a better flowing exhaust would be good too. how about this how much power are you looking for and what are your emissions laws like? stock y7 is 106hp at the crank... personally i think you paid a bit too much for what you bought. tranny isnt worth much because not many like the gearing... hell i might be giving my old one away lol, and i wouldnt pay more than 3-400 for a y7 engine with 121k

since the combo you got is a little higher mileage you might want to get into the tranny a bit and replace the isb and possibly the clutch/throwout bearing. i got a used tranny with 108k and the isb was shot already and those are reported to start going bad around 80k depending on the driver

·
Registered
199 Posts
You spent too much... Make up an excuse and take it back...

If you look around, people practically give away Y7s... Im currently bidding on a block thats $50 with 16 hours left... The shipping is actually gonna cost more...

So yea, you should definitely look around... They are alot of blocks you can get for half that price...

·
Registered
199 Posts
if he goes boost the y8 head isnt really necessary, but n/a it'd be good...
oh a better flowing exhaust would be good too. how about this how much power are you looking for and what are your emissions laws like? stock y7 is 106hp at the crank... personally i think you paid a bit too much for what you bought. tranny isnt worth much because not many like the gearing... hell i might be giving my old one away lol, and i wouldnt pay more than 3-400 for a y7 engine with 121k

since the combo you got is a little higher mileage you might want to get into the tranny a bit and replace the isb and possibly the clutch/throwout bearing. i got a used tranny with 108k and the isb was shot already and those are reported to start going bad around 80k depending on the driver
Whats ISB stand for???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I may have paid too much but it was the only set up i could find complete and it included an A/C compressor. I got it from www.ylmmotor.com. I checked all the salvage yards on the same street, there were about ten of them, and none had the D16Y7 setup. I was looking for a quick plug and go setup. I still have the original motor from my car so that's why it cost a little more because I didn't have the core exchanges for the motor or tranny. I don't have the experience yet to tear down an engine so I wanted something simple. Ya know like, pull out the old, put in the new, connect the hoses, plug in the wires and make a few adjustments and bam your drivin again. I plan on using the old motor as my first Honda build. I will tear it down and rebuild it with a mini me setup and ??? I have a little experience tuning my car but i want to be able to tear it down and rebuild it bolt by bolt. I am one of those "learn by doing" type of people and I would rather take the time to learn how to build this motor than try to hurry my way through it. My car has 238,000 plus miles on it so I know that I could get another 100,000 out of the new (used) setup. Well worth the money in my eyes. Thanks for the input and keep it coming I can use all the advise I can get. (New Pics Coming Soon!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts