Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my gfs' got a d16y7, and someone is selling a d series turbo for a reasonable price. i originally wanted to do the head swap first, but is it even worth it if its gonna be boosted? thanks for the input guys, i searched, but couldn't find a direct answer. thanks

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
not worth it IMO...the intake manifold is worth it. swap IM, and y8 trans if possible.
Yea, you def want to do the intake mani swap. Get the car boosted and go for a y8 trans down the road if its not fast enough for you.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
not worth it IMO...the intake manifold is worth it. swap IM, and y8 trans if possible.
+1

i was able find a whole y8 for 100 bucks, so i actually did a y7/y8 mini me and then boosted it. i've been driving over a year and a half daily with no issues but unless you find a steal on the head i wouldn't worry about it. z6 heads are much nicer to boost because of timing issues so find one of those if you want

-Luke

·
Registered
1996 Civic Hatchback
118 Posts
My friend sold me his complete MINT y8 head for 80 bucks, so I swapped it on when I was running my edelbrock kit. I was previously running the edelbrock IM (came with the kit) on the stock y7 head, and while it was much faster than stock I wasnt extremely impressed. The mini-me swap made the car FLY compared to my y7/edelbrock IM combo. I sent my OBD1 back for a vtec conversion and base tune for my turbo setup, and it made all the difference in my car. The compression really helped the spool time, and made the car much more responsive to drive out of boost. It would break traction when it flipped to vtec in low gears, even with the y7 tranny. If you dont plan on making insane amounts of power I would say this is worth it if you TUNE for it and get the head cheap. :TU:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.