Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there! im new to the world of car tuning. im by no means an idiot but i think i messed up with my turbo install. i have a 97 del sol s with a d16y7. i got a turbo kit on it that has a t3/t4 hybrid, intercooler, and all the good stuff. the bov i came with was a greddy but the hole on my piping was for an hks! yeah i dunno why either! so out of being impatient and poor i just covered the hole up and drove it around. boy did i see a difference in power! but this only lasted for like 2 days. after the two days i saw smoke coming out of my exaust on the highway. i pull over to see what it is and opened the hood only to see oil being burning! smoke was everywhere when id give it gas. its gray smoke. ive been told from people i know that i blew my piston rings or my head gasket is burnt. whatever it is i just hope its fixable. im not poor but im also not rich. im in the air force and need a good ride. all i want to do is just run like 7 psi safely and be happy. i just want a car thats got a little pep with some small mods and is still practical. if anyone can help this impatient noob, by all means id be one happy soldier! thanks ej wagner

·
Registered
489 Posts
well you can pull your head and see if its a head gasket. there only like $40... and a little bit of time... or you can check your oil and if it looks like a milk shake then its your head gasket.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 i now im new just started yesterday. na i bypassed it. ive already ordered the bov. it runs fine and all but when i kick it in it burns oil bad.

·
Registered
489 Posts
was that na like no or N/A like natural asperated? you never run a turbo with out a BOV... not even 1 PSI. very bad

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i know now. first time ever turboing a car. i only did it for one day. but that seems to be what killed my car. so what do ya all think i should do to fix it?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
OP: you only need to post in one section of the forum. those of us that answer questions, will get to it. trust me, someone will post a response to a question asked. and like i said in your other thread, you need a rebuild.
you never run a turbo with out a BOV... not even 1 PSI. very bad
this is not true. you can run a turbo on a engine without a bov just not without a wg (greddy CA legal turbo kit has no bov ;)). its a matter of driver skill and boost pressure. anything over 5 psi will probubly make the turbo "bark" and be detramental to the turbo/tb blade.

even with higher boost you can still do it without a bov, you just don't snap shut the tb blade. adjust the blade so it is open a "hair", and you will not have an overboost situation in the piping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts