Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Im new to hondas, so forgive me if this has been covered a million times. I would like to put a z6 head on my y7 engine.

I've seen a number of write ups to go from a y7 to y8, but have not had much luck from a y7 to a z6. . .

ive got a 97 dx (d16y7) I've found a z6 head, intake, and throttle body at the junkyard for cheap, so i got those. anything else i will need? i need to go back and get the ECU i hear... is there anything else i should get? - like injectors or the exhaust manifold?

also, is there any chance i could get this to pass CA smog? i live in Texas now so im not too concerned, but could be moving soon.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
for starters, I doubt that Ecu will be there when you go back cuz I already sent someone to go get it :biggrin:

2nd, smog you wont pass.

You need to get a combination of y7/y8 and 1 or 2 z6 head bolts. Something like that I get them mixed up. That's why I hate putting z6 head's on y7's.

if you got the intake manifold from the junk yard, why didn't you get the fuel injectors? Fail..

also, you need to get a p2p obd2a ecu and you have to do a little modification to your engine harness wiring..

not to mention swapping out that annoying fugly looking ass exhaust manifold header...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ugh yeah. the injectors were already taken when i got there. can i use mine or should i find some off of a odb1 civic?

and i hear there is a obd1 wiring adapter, can i just use that with the ECU from the 96 ex? and is it worth grabbing that z6 exhaust manifold as well? i know its crap but will my y7 manifold line up?

I'm new to tuning n such, just want to get started with small investments - things that i can find at junkyards n stuff. Thanks for all the help and tips!

oh. whats the deal with the head bolts? do i really need to buy new ones?

·
Registered
Civic
30 Posts
ugh yeah. the injectors were already taken when i got there. can i use mine or should i find some off of a odb1 civic?

and i hear there is a obd1 wiring adapter, can i just use that with the ECU from the 96 ex? and is it worth grabbing that z6 exhaust manifold as well? i know its crap but will my y7 manifold line up?

I'm new to tuning n such, just want to get started with small investments - things that i can find at junkyards n stuff. Thanks for all the help and tips!

oh. whats the deal with the head bolts? do i really need to buy new ones?
Just use your injectors right now so you don't to rewire them for obd1.

Just get a obd2a to obd1 ecu jumper harness and run a p28 ecu.

The z6 head on y7 block requires 1 z6 head bolt, it goes in the whole closest to the vtec solenoid. The head is taller just in that hole.

·
Registered
CRX ECODiesel Ram
1,036 Posts
Just use your injectors right now so you don't to rewire them for obd1.

Just get a obd2a to obd1 ecu jumper harness and run a p28 ecu.

The z6 head on y7 block requires 1 z6 head bolt, it goes in the whole closest to the vtec solenoid. The head is taller just in that hole.
arent y7 injectors 190cc compared to the 240cc z6/y8 injectors?

·
Registered
94 hatch
450 Posts
they are but if he's doing his own tuning he should still be able to make it work just fine. having the 240cc injectors would obviously be better though

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so i found some injectors, a distributor, and a p28 ecu. I know i need a obd2a to obd1 jumper.

The ECU is off of an automatic, will that make a differance, or will that work?

·
Registered
271 Posts
What distributor did u get? Being obd2 you'll need a corresponding distributor. Z6 have a different bolt pattern then y8/non vtec distributors. You'l have to re use your y7 distributor but you'll only be able to use the top bolt. This solution is notorious for oil leaks.OR depending how mechnically inclined you are can swap y7 internals with plugs into a z6 distributor. You'll also need a y8 cam gear for accurate mechnical timing purposes.

Honestly my suggestion is too avoid the hassle of sourcing appropriate parts is sell the z6 head for a premium since you got a great deal and buy a y8 head. No more dizzy or cam gear or head bolt issues. Just a straight foward head swap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What distributor did u get? Being obd2 you'll need a corresponding distributor. Z6 have a different bolt pattern then y8/non vtec distributors. You'l have to re use your y7 distributor but you'll only be able to use the top bolt. This solution is notorious for oil leaks.OR depending how mechnically inclined you are can swap y7 internals with plugs into a z6 distributor. You'll also need a y8 cam gear for accurate mechnical timing purposes.

Honestly my suggestion is too avoid the hassle of sourcing appropriate parts is sell the z6 head for a premium since you got a great deal and buy a y8 head. No more dizzy or cam gear or head bolt issues. Just a straight foward head swap.
I am going to use the p28 ecu, but i guess that the dist wont plug into the wiring harness for a y7..

so you would highly suggest going to a y8, even though ill have to sell my z6 to get money to buy a y8 head. going to need more support before this happens :?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts