Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 97 ex vtec auto. My car currently has a non vtec d16y7 engine .. I want it to be vtec again everything else in the car is vtec except the engine. Besides the head anything else I need for this swap? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
Everything else in the car is vtec? Like?

Besides the head? Yes.

·
Registered
Love the Civic
1,817 Posts
I think he has a vtec ecu, from his stealing of another thread. You know the rest of the car besides the motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes they left the original vtec ecu
And the vtec intake manifold . The only thing they changed was the engine . I'm not sure if they changed the engine harness or not .

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Yes they left the original vtec ecu
And the vtec intake manifold . The only thing they changed was the engine . I'm not sure if they changed the engine harness or not .
99% they just replace the motor.
Does it have a check engine light on right now? It should be for vtec and knock sensor unless they added the knock sensor to the y7 block and bypass the vtec oil pressure switch.

Either way if you want vtec you can get a y8 head and swap it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just bought a d16y8 head now the problem is I have a y7 harness.. The guy who sold it to me said I need to get vtec solenoid plug and vtec oil pressure switch and connect it to the ecu . He didn't tell me exactly how to do it he said it was easy though . Any advice?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just bought a d16y8 head now the problem is I have a y7 harness.. The guy who sold it to me said I need to get vtec solenoid plug and vtec oil pressure switch and connect it to the ecu . He didn't tell me exactly how to do it he said it was easy though . Any advice?
The vtec solenoid and pressure switch are on the back side of the head, right next to where the distributor connects to the cam.
So he sold you the head without the solenoid on it?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Thanks now I know where to buy it but how do I actually install it?
Comes with the instructions, but it just connects to the solenoid and pressure switch and then it gets connected the corresponding ecu pins.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Does the y7 head have a knock sensor? is it different than the y8 sensor?
R
Things wrong with your questions.

Y7 doesn't have a knock sensor.
Knock sensor is in the block not the head.
Y8 come with knock sensor.
Y7 have the whole threaded for the sensor but do not come with them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just Did the wiring for vtec to the Ecu . wasn't that hard saved 50 bucks. Now I'm just waiting for My mechanic to swap the heads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts