Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'd love to take this opportunity to introduce myself and my new-to-me 96 LS. As you've seen from the title the previous owner put a D16Y6 into this car after originally purchasing it to strictly take the motor out of it. In the labor of love having been only the second owner, he decided to replace it with something to keep it alive. What's left is an 83k mile Granada black tan-interior excellent daily driver that's so far gotten me mid-30s mpg, you can't really beat that sometimes. The original owner purchased the car when she was 70, like an absolute boss, and kept meticulous care and record of the car and I have approximately 23 years and probably nearly 100 invoices for myriad items (primarily dealership invoices). The next owner did no short feat in continuing the legacy of maintaining a well-kept time-capsule from the 90s.

-Enough waxing philosophical about the past, who am I?-

Admittedly I've never owned a Honda before, though the Integra has always kept a special place in my heart (no, not Monica), and I'd determined to buy one some day when I found an example I liked. I've been in Miata world for 9 years (and still own my 82k 94 classic red), and spent about 5 years before that in the DSM world. While my knowledge of Hondas is very limited, I'm excited to learn new things from you all and enjoy my time cruising around in just a great daily. The car is otherwise stock besides the RPF1s and engine swap (i also have the original steelies).

-What's next?-

Sometime in the next few weeks I have an appointment to get it oil undercoated, something I've done for my Miata several times and works a treat. Given the impending winter season I'll for now just be dailying the car around, switching off periodically to my Miata during the snowy season to help minimize exposure for both of them. Next season however I'm unsure where to go next. Part of me wants to put a suspension on it, however I'm a bit torn on the matter. Having owned a few cheap to mid-priced suspension setups over the years I feel a bit burned by their overall daily-able ride quality, and feel determined to pay extra for a good setup that has both good road feel as well as butt-feel. Any insights here regarding a semi-stock combo utilizing stock struts and aftermarket springs? Are there any diamond-in-the-rough spring/strut combos out there that won't break the bank but give the car that much more turn-in and sustain goodness? From my limited understanding some Civic suspension parts will fit my Integra with limited (or no?) modification, particularly related to brake line mounts? Please correct me if I'm way off here.

The mileage on the engine is unknown, however the previous owner asserts his bench compression tests showed 180+ on all four, something I'll definitely verify over the next few days. The previous owner also did a timing belt and water pump before putting the engine into this car. I'll probably not do anything here, since it runs great and doesn't apparently have any issues. Moreover, this car's original engine is coming out of the car it was swapped into, and when that happens will be returning to me (so any/all performance mods if i even go to that, will be relegated to that endeavor).

I'd like to minimally repair/replace the front bumper cover, and possible the rear as well, sometime next year once the nice weather comes back around since there are some pretty good scrapes in them that are the primary weak parts aesthetically (aside from the re-sprayed rear wheel arches).

How common/un-common is a D16Y7 swap in an Integra?

Thank you all in advance, and if we don't speak directly I'm sure to see you in the threads.

Please forgive me in advance for shamelessly re-using some pictures of the car the previous owner used for the sale, since my smartphone would not do any sort of photographic justice.
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

Vehicle Car White Hood Light

Car Vehicle Gear shift White Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,701 Posts
Hello everyone!

I'd love to take this opportunity to introduce myself and my new-to-me 96 LS. As you've seen from the title the previous owner put a D16Y6 into this car after originally purchasing it to strictly take the motor out of it. In the labor of love having been only the second owner, he decided to replace it with something to keep it alive. What's left is an 83k mile Granada black tan-interior excellent daily driver that's so far gotten me mid-30s mpg, you can't really beat that sometimes. The original owner purchased the car when she was 70, like an absolute boss, and kept meticulous care and record of the car and I have approximately 23 years and probably nearly 100 invoices for myriad items (primarily dealership invoices). The next owner did no short feat in continuing the legacy of maintaining a well-kept time-capsule from the 90s.

-Enough waxing philosophical about the past, who am I?-

Admittedly I've never owned a Honda before, though the Integra has always kept a special place in my heart (no, not Monica), and I'd determined to buy one some day when I found an example I liked. I've been in Miata world for 9 years (and still own my 82k 94 classic red), and spent about 5 years before that in the DSM world. While my knowledge of Hondas is very limited, I'm excited to learn new things from you all and enjoy my time cruising around in just a great daily. The car is otherwise stock besides the RPF1s and engine swap (i also have the original steelies).

-What's next?-

Sometime in the next few weeks I have an appointment to get it oil undercoated, something I've done for my Miata several times and works a treat. Given the impending winter season I'll for now just be dailying the car around, switching off periodically to my Miata during the snowy season to help minimize exposure for both of them. Next season however I'm unsure where to go next. Part of me wants to put a suspension on it, however I'm a bit torn on the matter. Having owned a few cheap to mid-priced suspension setups over the years I feel a bit burned by their overall daily-able ride quality, and feel determined to pay extra for a good setup that has both good road feel as well as butt-feel. Any insights here regarding a semi-stock combo utilizing stock struts and aftermarket springs? Are there any diamond-in-the-rough spring/strut combos out there that won't break the bank but give the car that much more turn-in and sustain goodness? From my limited understanding some Civic suspension parts will fit my Integra with limited (or no?) modification, particularly related to brake line mounts? Please correct me if I'm way off here.

The mileage on the engine is unknown, however the previous owner asserts his bench compression tests showed 180+ on all four, something I'll definitely verify over the next few days. The previous owner also did a timing belt and water pump before putting the engine into this car. I'll probably not do anything here, since it runs great and doesn't apparently have any issues. Moreover, this car's original engine is coming out of the car it was swapped into, and when that happens will be returning to me (so any/all performance mods if i even go to that, will be relegated to that endeavor).

I'd like to minimally repair/replace the front bumper cover, and possible the rear as well, sometime next year once the nice weather comes back around since there are some pretty good scrapes in them that are the primary weak parts aesthetically (aside from the re-sprayed rear wheel arches).

How common/un-common is a D16Y7 swap in an Integra?

Thank you all in advance, and if we don't speak directly I'm sure to see you in the threads.

Please forgive me in advance for shamelessly re-using some pictures of the car the previous owner used for the sale, since my smartphone would not do any sort of photographic justice.
View attachment 139531
View attachment 139532
View attachment 139533
Welcome to the forum!

Dude, kudos to whoever did the Y7 swap for keeping it completely stock haha, even the air box was moved over! It looks like it belongs in there funny enough!

The first time I heard of a D in a teg was on here a couple months ago. Before that, the idea never really crossed my mind haha. Not really sure why its a thing recently, maybe availability reasons between D and the B series engines in the here and now. I'd take the bet and say there are definitely more D's out there than B's!

I think a turbo D in a Teg would be kick ass.

Looks like first order of business would be to address any obvious rust at each wheel end and under the car, and making sure ball joints and bushings are in good shape. Having lived in Canada and growing up working on Honda's there, the plastic brake/fuel line cover that covers the lines as they run the length of the car from front to back is a TRAP for road salt water. I would absolutely make sure your brake and fuel lines still resemble metal lines under that cover, and not a rust flake fest, BEFORE you need to emergency romp on the brakes for your first time and find out your pedal disappears into the floor!

Other than that, she looks clean! Oil undercoat definitely helps, but makes things MESSY to work on. Definitely protects though!

Look forward to your future mods and shares with the group here! Good group of guys here :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DrTalon123, much appreciated. Yeah, the legitimacy of the swap is excellently done and I, too, am tickled by how well the airbox looks in there.

I haven't had the opportunity to really get under the car yet and give it a thorough inspection, though that's soon on the list of to-do and brake lines are definitely among that list to inspect. Thanks for the tip here. I'm assuming the brake line cover is more-or-less easily removed (barring annoying bolts), so I may take it off and check it out more thoroughly, maybe hit the whole length with the hose just to push out any hidden junk on the top side of the lines.

I'm not sure why the previous owner went with the D, though he's got other avenues in the Honda world so it's possible he knew a guy who knew a guy that had one for good money and that was reason enough to go this route. Speaking of turbo Ds I've seen a few of those in my recent internet musings, and it doesn't seem like it's an all-too-terrible idea. Though, my Miata might have a bit of a temper tantrum if I mod another car before it since that's a big part of purchasing a second car to begin with.

Stefanzoh, yes, I totally get you. At pretty much any other point in my life I'd never choose such a light interior, though presently I'm in software and can generally keep myself off the ground. I do give approximately 10,000 boot clicks out the door every time I get in, though. At least I get a free leg day out of it ;).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey man, welcome to Honda club.

Did you buy that off of carsandbids? I was really surprised to see a d-swapped teg. Can't believe how good of a job the swap on your car is!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey man, welcome to Honda club.

Did you buy that off of carsandbids? I was really surprised to see a d-swapped teg. Can't believe how good of a job the swap on your car is!
Heh, yes I did. Good spot! And I second the swap - I know a lot of people seemed a bit upset by the idea but I surmise they had different plans for the car, or something or other. Perhaps a bit of purism, too, who knows.

Nice car. Looks good.

Are you sure the engine is a swap?
My DB9 has a D16 as standard. DB6 Tegs did, too.
Thank you! While I can't be totally sure of course, I don't foresee the previous owner as having lied about the fact. He did mention that some Integras came with the D-series and wikipedia seems to support this (1st gens), if you believe wiki. I know virtually nothing about Hondas, so the provided link could be complete bunk. He also provided instructions for the IAC pinout change into the ECU, should I want to switch back to the original engine.

·
Registered
Integra DB9
445 Posts
Thank you! While I can't be totally sure of course, I don't foresee the previous owner as having lied about the fact. He did mention that some Integras came with the D-series and wikipedia seems to support this (1st gens), if you believe wiki. I know virtually nothing about Hondas, so the provided link could be complete bunk. He also provided instructions for the IAC pinout change into the ECU, should I want to switch back to the original engine.
The previous owner didn't have to lie about the engine for both versions of the story to hold. The original engine could have been a D16 - just not a Y7. Did he say what the original was?
My own car was a Japanese spec D16ZC but it now runs a D16Z6.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The original engine could have been a D16 - just not a Y7. Did he say what the original was?
My own car was a Japanese spec D16ZC but it now runs a D16Z6.
This is a good point, my ignorance of things Honda is showing here. I didn't ask him explicitly, but the verbage from the for-sale ad is "bought it as an organ donor to make a poor man's Si out of my ej6 Civic" so take that with what you will. I'm not sure what mix-and-match parts one would need for a scenario like that. I suppose I should ask him, as it might be good to know.

I'm waiting for the weekend, though, to really get the opportunity to look at it in depth and I was hoping some things might become clearer on their own. I bought the car during the week last week, and since I work nights it's very difficult to do anything without proper lighting (which I don't have), then I went on a vacation for several days, and now we're here. This weekend I hope to get the first thorough opportunity to put it up on stands, give a thorough look-over underneath, do some vin plate matching (or not), compression test, and a few other things.

It might seem silly to you all here, but I've for years been jealous of honda hoods. I finally have a car whose hood I can open "all the way", and my god, it's so freaking great. More cars need this much prop. Feel free to point and laugh at the new Honda owner getting all giddy over hood angles ;).

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,292 Posts
probably a b16/18, since the jdm si was a b series.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,992 Posts
It might seem silly to you all here, but I've for years been jealous of honda hoods. I finally have a car whose hood I can open "all the way", and my god, it's so freaking great. More cars need this much prop. Feel free to point and laugh at the new Honda owner getting all giddy over hood angles ;).
I have an inside joke with myself ,first hood prop notch just normal maintenance second hood prop notch because racecar..:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts