Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a 2000 civic LX sedan automatic with a D16y7 in it and for some reason the car cannot get the codes ready for emissions inspection.

O2's, Cat, Evap, ect..

We've been trying to get these codes ready for months and can't figure out why they aren't turning over.

What could be causing this?

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
333 Posts
In my obd2 crown vic, a 160 degree tstat caused the readiness monitors to stay unready to test. It never thought it came to operating temperature, and a swap to stock did the trick.

See which monitors are ready and which ones arent this will give u an idea of where to look for something that's not coming up to spec.

Then just learn about what they want to see in order to complete their readiness check and track it down from there.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
EVAP might have a leak somewhere. a PAIN in the ass to find unless you have a smoke machine and a power probe to toggle the valve open and closed.

My advise, go to walmart, go to the automotive section, find in the fuel cleaner section, B12 Chemtool fuel system cleaner.

its 2.50 or 3 per can. grab two.

Run the car down to 1/4 tank, or 1/2 tank if more comfortable. dump one entire can into it.

Go drive and drive and drive until she is empty. Fill up about 4-5 gallons at a gas station. Run a full can again with that, and drive and drive and drive.

Now throw a new fuel filter on there, a set of NGK V-Power plugs for about 8 bucks, even if your current ones have less than 5k miles, and go drive enough to use 2-3 full tanks of gas.

Drive granny style. no harsh acceleration, no extended high rpm pulls, no teenager stuff.

That should allow the ecu to figure out you are good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bumping this back now lol, now I really gotta fix this due to registration renewal. Stock thermostat in it, has new plugs, wires and fuel filter.

It does throw a CEL atm due to had o2 sensors.

MIL reads OFF

Replaced coolant temp.

With the o2 throwing codes, would that prevent the MIL from turning on? I thought it didn't matter.

Although j noticed another thing with the car, if I try to read the codes on the car without the car running, the ecu doesn't recognize the car having a code, although when I start it back up, after a good 10 seconds of the car running it then throws the code.

Could it be that my ECU is resetting itself?

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Check the fuel trims while running it for a few mins.
Vs turning it off and then back to ON but not running.

If your fuel trims are reseting then the ecu is also resetting.
There is a 7.5 backup fuse for the ecu. Couldnt tell you which one thi but look them up.

But an o2 code will not let the cat set as read

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Fix all codes. Readiness monitors will not set if any codes are present for emissions components.

Also, check your "back-up" fuse. This is the circuit that provides power to the PCM when the vehicle is off, to keep the codes in memory. If that doesnt have power, the PCM resets every time you key off for a few minutes. Never able to set the monitors because it just resets.

·
Registered
93 dx + 92 lx
333 Posts
Have u gotten a readout of which/any monitors have achieved readiness? That came w my failed emissions test.... gives some direction

1 - 7 of 7 Posts