Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, guys.

I know I haven't been on here much. Sorry. College has got me all types of busy. And then a part-time job has got all my free-time. Regardless, my point on here is to ask about a D16Y7 build.

I go to Linn State Technical College, and next semester I have my Engine Repair class. In that class, we have to rebuild an engine. If the engine doesn't run by the end of the class, you are failed. So, anyways...

I have an extra D16Y7 engine and tranny just sitting in my garage and thought about building that.

A couple of the goals I wish to achieve:

1. About 250 HP
  2. Ability to handle 10 pounds of boost
  3. Lots of mid-range torque
Things I had in mind:

• Low-comp pistons
  • stage 2 camshaft and crankshaft
  • Eagle H-beam rods
  • Skunk2 Valves and valve springs
  • T3/4 turbo
I'm just looking for suggestions or advice in order for me to achieve the goals for this engine. This engine will be going in my daily-drive, 96' Civic DX coupe.

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
At least you know that you need to replace your Rods for your Goal.
For y7's I don't think you can go with state 2 on Cam or Crank. Best bet would be to Regrind the Cam (bisi or something)
If you can do a little Port n Polish to the Head at school before you replace the Valves, Springs n stuff, that will be good:TU:
Maybe you can consider swapping your y7 Intake Manifold to a y8 Intake Manifold and port match that thing to your Head:TU:

There's so many things you can do, it's nuts! Good Luck Dawg. In class with the Proper Equipment, It should be easy to rebuilt.

Edit: I'm sure the Boys will help out with more Input:mrgreen:

oh yeah, welcome back!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, bro. I was thinking about swapping out the IM and Tranny fr the y8 counterpart. I definately want the y8 IM. I'm tired of the TB pointed up. ALso, I heard the y8 tranny has shorter gears than the y7. Due to the VTEC.

In class, we will learn to port and polish. Also, I was gunna send my head a machine shop ad see if they would do a 3 angle valve job. Or, would I have to take it elsewhere.

I also know that I can bore, stroke, and hone the block in class.

So many damn choices, but I am only looking to spend 5- or 6- grand. I think that my goals are able to fit in my budget. The only problem is that, I have very little time to do it all. But, we have this thing called Tech Team. In essence, it's an automotive club. We stay after school and work on our projects.

Sorry,for getting off subject. Does anyone have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
swap over to the y8 IM and trans
bolt on a turbo kit with a super 60 t3 as its turbo (call go-autoworks)
440 injectors from a dsm
flywheel and clutch kit from lsd motorsports
obd2 to obd1 harness and a po6 ecu
convert your 3 wire iacv to a tow wire one
get a 2.5 inch exhaust
tune tune tune

you should get near 230-ish whp with a set-up very close to this, and just spend about 3 grand for it all. depending on who you go with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, my questions...

1. Why super60? Explain that to me, please.
  2. 440 cc injectors? Hmm, dumping lots of fuel in there, aren't we? I think you would need a better ignition systemto burn it all.
  3. Y8 IM and Trans, of course, but why OBD-II to OBD-I?*
  4. ECU?
  5. Why swap the IACV 3-wire to 2-wire?
  6. 2.5 in. exhaust, I can hear that one.
* You do know that if your vehicle came OBD-II from the factory, you cannot go back to OBD-I or OBD-O. Though, putting OBD-I or -II, in a OBD-O vehicle is legal? Just some stuff I've been researching. I mean, it could be different state by state.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Ok, my questions...

1. Why super60? Explain that to me, please. because it will have a very fast response and still flow enough to meet your needs
  2. 440 cc injectors? Hmm, dumping lots of fuel in there, aren't we? I think you would need a better ignition systemto burn it all. no its not, cause you till have to get it tuned to trim the fuel to maintain a 11-12:1 afr
  3. Y8 IM and Trans, of course, but why OBD-II to OBD-I?* because you can't truely tune a obd2 system
  4. ECU? an obd1 ecu can be chipped and custom tuned to support boost
  5. Why swap the IACV 3-wire to 2-wire? only the y7 ecu can support a 3-wire iacv for a d-series
  6. 2.5 in. exhaust, I can hear that one. since your not going for big numbers, a smaller exhaust can be used. for the most part, a 2.5 inch exhaust is enough for about 260-280 whp. 3 inch for more then that. this is personal opinon and thought.
* You do know that if your vehicle came OBD-II from the factory, you cannot go back to OBD-I or OBD-O. Though, putting OBD-I or -II, in a OBD-O vehicle is legal? Just some stuff I've been researching. I mean, it could be different state by state.
you can go to obd1 via jumper harness at the ecu. its removable and can convert you back and forth with about 30 mins of work, for the electrical side of it. might want to take a look at the engine management section in the stickies and the forced induction section for the stickies. these will help you more. after you read them, then post up any other questions and i, and others, will try to help you out more.

in case your wondering. 99EJ6T is not just my screen name, its also my car (well the "T" is for turbo, yeah its corny). click the blue link in my sig to see my build up and what i had during my last build (a d16y7 ;))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts