Honda D Series Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,469 Posts
I called a local machine shop here in Houston and they quoted me 220 to do the milling and the other tests on the head. They said it would be $10 to replace the broken valve and another $10 if the guide needed replaced. Does that sound reasonable?
Very, at that price I'd have them do all the guides, then you get another 170-200k out of the engine and the bottom end finishes wearing out the same time as the head next time.

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
1,469 Posts
You can pull it fully assembled, but the machine shop will likely want the valvetrain off unless you want to pay extra for a rough valve lash setting, before you remove the belt line it up to top dead center with the cam marks flat with the valve cover surface and the arrow on the oil pump pointing at the line on the crank pulley.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, apologies in advance if I am posting in the wrong section.

I have a 97 civic that lost compression in cylinder 4, I could replace head gasket and see if that is the problem. I figure since I would be going to all the trouble to remove the head, why not just rebuild the whole engine, it has about 170k miles on it. Vehicles are so expensive right now I figured I would finally take a shot at my very first rebuild.

I am sure this information is available somewhere on this site, but does anyone had any good videos/guides that would make it easier for me to successfully do this? I am not a mechanic but have worked on my own cars for about 15 years. Never tried doing anything with any internals, block or head.

Also, I am not trying to upgrade or go for any type of power boost. I just want an economical, quality build that will be reliable.

Thanks
CHECK U-TUBE IT HAVE A LOT"S OF DO IT YOUR SELF VIDEO ON COMPLETE REBUILD ON D SERIES ENGINE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So I got my head back and it’s been dipped, milled, and have the four valves for cylinder for replaced. When I picked it up the guy told me I was going to need to put a new gasket around the camshaft. The question I have is Are there any good guides for reinstalling a head? Or do you have you have any advice on how to make sure I am replacing all of the gaskets and everything else correctly? I already have the torque sequence in the specs for the head bolts. I bought a head gasket kit with all new seals in the whole deal.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts