Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 EX which has been downgraded to a D16Y7 (non VTEC) by the previous owner... I'm planning on a full swap next spring so I don't want to dig real deep into this one right now, but in the meantime is there anything at all that I can do to this thing to give it a little better throttle response, maybe make it a bit quicker to get off the line and get out into the flow of interstate traffic?

·
Registered
93 4d lx, z6,ported, port matched, compression bumped, balanced, manual swap
537 Posts
Put new plugs, cap, rotor, fuel and air filters on it. It will help until you get it back to vtec, not much but a little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes the y8 intake manifold will flow better than the y7
Ok, good to know. I guess the thing to do is identify the one that I have, first... no telling if they swapped that as well. Is there a code stamp on the intake?
how would I tell the difference?

·
Registered
2 Posts
read thru that, he has some good pictures and information you can use

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
read thru that, he has some good pictures and information you can use
Thanks!

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,116 Posts
why are you doing a whole swap when you can just change the head and use the correct ecu?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why are you doing a whole swap when you can just change the head and use the correct ecu?
Because I’ll have access to a B18 in the spring, my plan is to swap that in and keep the D16 for a future project.
Incidentally, the intake is indeed the original Y8... I haven’t really looked at this thing much. It’s been sitting in my driveway for 4 years. My son bought it for a project and never did anything with it. Now that he’s moved out and left the car for me to do whatever I want with, I’m going to get it up and running.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
When the d16y7 is PROPERLY running and driving, it does just fine.

It is critical to have correct valve lash adjustment, proper distributor timing alignment, and make sure the mechanical timing is dead nuts in place.

My 97 Y7 auto-tragic did perfectly fine with a good solid tune up.

Id prefer a d15b7 or d16z6 intake over the y8 any day of the week.

Reactions: proffett

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When the d16y7 is PROPERLY running and driving, it does just fine.

It is critical to have correct valve lash adjustment, proper distributor timing alignment, and make sure the mechanical timing is dead nuts in place.

My 97 Y7 auto-tragic did perfectly fine with a good solid tune up.

Id prefer a d15b7 or d16z6 intake over the y8 any day of the week.
I think that could be said about a lot of engines... it's certainly true about my GMCs' 5.3 and 5.7's. That's where all of my wrenching has been lately, keeping those ol' boys in top shape.

What advantage would one of those intakes have over the Y8?

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Low end and midrange. The Z6 is the most balanced, the B7 offers the best low end grunt with still decent midrange, and the Y8 seems to require porting the inside runners before it actually offers its best performance up top.

Plenum volume is mostly where the Y8 shines. But nothing is stopping someone from cutting open a Z6 manifold and welding in a plenum spacer of sorts.

Reactions: proffett
1 - 15 of 15 Posts