Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 5MT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently dealing with a P0505 code issue.

Car Details:
1998 Civic DX - D16y7 - all original 140k miles

I read through the below post about troubleshooting the P0505, but am stuck.

Before finding this forum I did the following because I had the P0505:

Replaced IACV - from RockAuto, then the car tossed a P1508 and P0505. I replaced the gas cap, all spark plugs (one was totally fouled), all new spark plug wires, ignition, and cap and rotor. P1508 is now gone, but still have the P0505 issue.

I went to do a smoke test, but when hooking up the smoke machine (Mac Tools Leak Attack) and the smoke came right up out of throttle body (had taken off the intake box). What am I missing? Is there a way to plug the throttle body opening? I was doing the smoke test with the car off, should it be on?

Any help would be insanely appreciated, really want to fix this and continue on with the project!

Just adding what my scan tool stated today when the code was showing; not too sure how to read this all.
Freeze Frame:
DTCFRZF - P0505
FUELSYS1 - CL
FUELSYS2 - N/A
LOAD_PCT (%) - 25.9
ETC (degrees F) - 194
SHRTFT1 (%) - 7.8
LONGFT1 (%) - 3.1
MAP (inHg) - 7.7
RPM (/min)- 1512
VSS (mPh) - 0
IAT (degrees F) - 122
TP (%) - 9.4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey @mattliston, 100% agree, right after I found this forum, just stop trying random things.

I have never adjusted the idle screw in any way - not sure if prior owner had though.

I have not done the bridge, what is an idle relearn??

Started to, but needed to cap off the throttle body as smoke just coming right out of the top, so wasn't able to cleanly check for leaks. Now I have a rubber/silicon hose to fit onto the top and cap to I can cleanly check for leaks via smoke test. Will be doing this at the end of the month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK So, I installed a new battery which helped immensely, no more trouble turning over or any issues with rpm fluctuations. For about 30 - 40 miles no light and the car ran great, then the light came back on. I did a smoke test last weekend and found a 0.15 leak, which seems to be coming from the throttle body gasket and a slight cracked hose to IM. Problem is after doing the smoke test the following codes showed up - P1509, P0108 and still the P0505.

I also installed an EX gauge cluster so now I can get a read on the RPMs, seems to bounce between 1200 and 1500 when light is on and car is warm.

Since I did find a leak my plan is to replace the throttle body gasket, the 3 hoses on the IM, IM gasket, IACV, TPS and MAP sensors. While TB is off ill check the idle screw @Oldcivicjoe was talking about and the o-ring for it.

Thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts