Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my sister 96 civic ek sedan. It had oil in the 4 spark plug so I took it out then put it back in didn’t mess with everything else I put everything back together and it all started after that I change distributor ecu main relay checked fuses spark plugs wires timing and grounds it made no difference wanna hear your guys opinion

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Did you try tackling the reason for oil in the spark plug tubes? Valve cover gasket and tube seals, spark plugs and wires, plus cap and rotor for good measure?

The way you wrote this post, it sounds like you saw oil in the spark plug tubes, then just installed the spark plug wires BACK into the tubes WITH OIL now probably filling the spark plug wires creating a fantastic insulator between the spark plugs and the plug wire contacts, then changed very expensive components (ECU, main relay, distributor, etc.) that had nothing to do with the oil in the spark plug tube holes....

Fix oil in the holes, and change components that are soaked with oil (plugs and wires), then a new cap and rotor for good measure.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Well, you are already tossing a bunch of money at it with zero indication of diagnosis.

Did you try a basic spark plug removal and engine turn over to evacuate the oil? Im no genius, but oil soaked spark plugs will NOT fire with a basic ignition system.

One quick burst of carb cleaner down each hoel as well into the chamber while the plugs are out. Clean the spark plugs with a hit of carb cleaner, and compressed air to blow it clean.

Then make sure you have the spark plug wires in the correct order.

Double check the distributor connectors, makign sure they snap in fully and without any water or corrosion present.

Make sure the ground on the thermostat housing behind the motor is attached.

A final recommendation, check the transmission-to-chassis ground. It might have chosen that particular time to break if its old. It will NOT crank, or will crank very slowly, if that ground is gone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, you are already tossing a bunch of money at it with zero indication of diagnosis.

Did you try a basic spark plug removal and engine turn over to evacuate the oil? Im no genius, but oil soaked spark plugs will NOT fire with a basic ignition system.

One quick burst of carb cleaner down each hoel as well into the chamber while the plugs are out. Clean the spark plugs with a hit of carb cleaner, and compressed air to blow it clean.

Then make sure you have the spark plug wires in the correct order.

Double check the distributor connectors, makign sure they snap in fully and without any water or corrosion present.

Make sure the ground on the thermostat housing behind the motor is attached.

A final recommendation, check the transmission-to-chassis ground. It might have chosen that particular time to break if its old. It will NOT crank, or will crank very slowly, if that ground is gone.
Well I found the problem last night the camshaft broke where the dizzy goes on so I took everything apart going to pick up a new cam today thank you for all the info you gave me 👍🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Looks like someone jamemd in the distributor with the offset side OPPOSITE and then tighten down the distributor and snapped it. Could have been in the past, where it fractured it, and it decided "today is the day" when you worked on it.

Is it a Y8 or a Y7? I think I have a spare Y8 cam I can sell if you need one.

Reactions: robgoof
1 - 7 of 7 Posts