Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i'm new and i had a quick question.

First off the car- 1997 Civic DX coupe, D16Y7, 5-speed.

Me and my buddy just installed a skunk2 manifold on his stock d16y7, but we're having problems.

First off, when we first got it together it would idle really high, then bounce up and down like it had an vacuum leak. I couldn't find one, but then i checked and noticed that the TPS and MAP sensor plugs were the same! I swapped them, and it calmed the idle down, but now i can only give it throttle very slowly. If i punch it it just falls flat.

Does anyone know what i need to look for next? We used a new TB gasket and intake gasket from fel-pro when we did the job. Someone on another forum said maybe there's just a little bit of old gasket left on the head causing a bad seal.

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks guys-

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Switch the MAP and TPS back around. And yes, if you didn't scape off the old intake manifold gasket off really good it can cause your car to surge. You have a vacuum leak somewhere. Check all vacuum lines and make sure everything is bolt on tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys, me and him will pull the manifold back off tomorrow and clean it up a bit better.

So you're saying that when i had the surging idle, the plugs were the right way? Those will get switched back too.

Also, will these things not idle right if it's not full of coolant? Cause we didn't get the chance to fill it up after we got done.

Sorry for all the questions, i'm much more used to working on my car than his. Honda's are relatively new to me as far as modifications.

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
air in the coolant system will cause a surging idle too, you need to fill it up, bleed it and repeat until there is no air coming out of the bleeder screw.

·
Registered
a city truck
832 Posts
i had the very same problem, i changed everything that i could think of. vaccum lines, gaskets, pvc, etc. but for me it turned out to be the injector o-rings. make sure everything is seated and yes. clean the head and im, i used a rozor blade to get the old gasket off/and clean the head

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
air in the coolant system will cause a surging idle too, you need to fill it up, bleed it and repeat until there is no air coming out of the bleeder screw.
yea, if you didn't fill the coolant when you finished this could definetly be an issue.

Are there air injection ports on that manifold??
if the manifold is for a 99-00 i'm pretty sure there is air injection holes. not sure on the skunk2, but on an OEM one there would be so....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure if there are air injections ports on top... there's two holes under the fuel rail that are threaded, but i was pretty sure that they were closed holes not open into the manifold. I can pull off the rail again and check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, where is the coolant bleeder screw located? I didn't see anything about it in the service manual. It just says refill the radiator and resevoir, run engine until operating temp, then replace the cap.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
Also, where is the coolant bleeder screw located? I didn't see anything about it in the service manual. It just says refill the radiator and resevoir, run engine until operating temp, then replace the cap.
96+ = self bleeding

Your problems are likely not coolant based

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dude i am having a very similar problem with my d16y7.

except i just replaced the STOCK manifold, but when i start the car it sounds like a 2 stroke, idles like crap, doesnt surge but it sounds like its missing horribly.
I scraped all the old gasket off with a razor blade, filled the coolant, etc. all the wiring is in the right spots as well as vaccum and coolant lines.

when i shut the car off you can hear a psssst like air relasing. its really anooying and i dont know whats wrong!!!

·
Registered
HONDA CIVIC
99 Posts
i´ve perform several swap like that one , but into Ej9 ones , with D14A4 engines , european models , similar to Y7 , where the diference is the bigger displacment , and all of them did that irregular idle...

Make sure that you have all well tight , then if all is ok, you need to wait till the coolant system to bleed right , air bubbles into the system makes that idle ....

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Its not air bubbles in his coolant causing his idle issues, guaranteed!
yeah its not going to be a bubbles issue. there is no external bleed screw set-up on a 96-00 d.

i would think its a vac leak or something with the TB itself. OP: what TB are you using for the manifold?

btw: imo, the sk2 IM is a "little" big for a stock y7.

·
Registered
90 CRX Mini-Me Turbo
464 Posts
try turning the Idle Adj screw on the TB clockwise (the flathead screw by the TB opening on top) more than likely, you're pulling too much air in at idle.... that will cause it to surge...... and as stated before, switch the MAP/TPS back to the way you had it 1st.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
try turning the Idle Adj screw on the TB clockwise (the flathead screw by the TB opening on top) more than likely, you're pulling too much air in at idle.... that will cause it to surge...... and as stated before, switch the MAP/TPS back to the way you had it 1st.
Before you swith id, just double check which is which. If your not getting a CEL, then you most likely have them right.

·
Registered
HONDA CIVIC
99 Posts
Its not air bubbles in his coolant causing his idle issues, guaranteed!
sorry man , but can be one of the causes of that idle , cause the Y7 TB is diferent to the other series , they have one only valve into them that regulates the idle (by water temperature) ...and others have 2 kinds of them outside the TB , generally a fast idle valve and other lower idle valve ...

but can be a vacuum leak also ...but generally vacuum leaks only makes idle higher , and not a "jumping" idle...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.