Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sup DSO i'm in a tight spot, i did all the research i could but i'm at a stalemate.

a little back story: civic threw a CEL in the morning when i was leaving for work, idled rough too so i decided to take my wife's car that day and not chance getting stuck on the freeway. when i get home i start the car and notice a blinking CEL (constant), idle is still rough but went away when it warmed up. I make my way to pepboys to get the codes pulled and it dies 2 blocks away from my house. it hasn't started since and i never got those CEL codes.

i did a little trouble shooting -- i have fuel but i don't have a spark. i replaced the cheap stuff first: dizzy cap is new, rotor is new, wires/plugs are new, main relay is new, dizzy is a rebuilt one from a honda dismantler. i get all the new parts in and i still don't have a spark.... HAAAALLP :willy_nilly:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry. the thread title is misleading, i haven't tried everything yet. gonna borrow a multi-meter from a friend and check if the coil is working.... but i'm not sure how to do that as electrical work isn't my strong point

·
Registered
2000 Honda Civic Dx
2,032 Posts
what don't you jump the service connector and count the CEL blinks? +1 on the grounds esp. thermostat housing ground.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
check coil,icm,grounds and look to see if theres any broken wires..........

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah, i didn't even think of checking the grounds. the engine bay was repainted before i bought it, i'll try scuffing down to the bare metal for better/cleaner contact.

i know where the coil is in the dizzy but where's the ICM? i'm kinda new to this and just learning as i run into things.

thanks for the quick responses guys, i really appreciate all the help and information i can get.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

the icm is inside the dizzy and is the gray thing at the bottom of this pic..
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
Registered
206 Posts
why don't you just see what code your getting? Pull the plug down at the ecu and jump it with a paper clip. might help....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why don't you just see what code your getting? Pull the plug down at the ecu and jump it with a paper clip. might help....
too late for that thanks to my impatience, not so expert help from friends, and what i've read in other forums. when i installed the new dizzy the battery was unplugged and the CEL is gone. if it happens to come back on i'll try jumping the harness and see what i get.

oh, i just remembered but i'm not sure if it's relevant. i changed my cluster (previous one had a broken speedometer head) before the trip to pepboys, could this prevent me from getting a spark?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just got home and tested the coil in the new/rebuilt distributor. this is my first time doing this so i ask for everyone's patience, please bare with me.

i took the distributor off the car in case i need to return or exchange it for a working one. i removed the black/yellow and blue/yellow wires off the coil then tested for continuity in both the ac and dc setting on the multi-meter. not so sure i know what i'm doing at this point but both readings measured 0.00.

based on the diagram 2jzdreamin posted i think i've found my problem... unless someone can correct me and teach me how to check the coil the propper way.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You measured it wrong. The ac and dc setting are for measuring voltage of those respective types. You need to measure resistance. The symbol on the meter should look like a horseshoe, open side down.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
damn... :thinking: i knew i screwed that up some how. i'll check again when i get home from work today.

whomever said ignorance is bliss doesn't know what they're talking about. i'm as ignorant as they come when it comes to electrical stuff and i've been stressing out all week lol

thanks [again] for all the help fellas.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am the original PATA :biggrin:
yeah! i didn't think there would be a PATA on this site when i first signed up. i saw your thread for the y8 IM swap, GOOD STUFF! that'll definitely be my first mod when i can find the time for it.

back on topic, MY CAR IS FINALLY RUNNING AGAIN! it turned out to be a faulty distributor from the dismantler. they gave me a replacement and it fired up within 2 cranks. the check engine light came on after it idled for a bit so i jumped the harness. pulled p0303, misfire in cylindar 3 so i tested the wire for a spark and got nothing. replaced the wires and got new spark plugs and it idles like a CHAMP.

many thanks to everyone who gave me advice and helped me solve my car's problem :detective:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i say coil...what was it?
it could have very well been the coil, the dizzy i got from the dismantler wasn't working so they gave me a new (used) one and i refused to leave till they tested it -- the put it in one of the workers' cars and it started.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts