Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 98 Civic hatchback with a D16Y7 motor. I'm a poor college student but would like to work on the motor but can't afford a DOHC and the engine i do have has very low miles on it. Boosting is out of the question since i don't have that amount of money. I was wondering on the potential of the D16 and what it's capabilities are. I was also wondering if the D16Z6 head can be switched with the Y7 or would i be better off with a Y8 head.

·
Registered
Honda Civic LX
402 Posts
I've got a 98 Civic hatchback with a D16Y7 motor. I'm a poor college student but would like to work on the motor but can't afford a DOHC and the engine i do have has very low miles on it. Boosting is out of the question since i don't have that amount of money. I was wondering on the potential of the D16 and what it's capabilities are. I was also wondering if the D16Z6 head can be switched with the Y7 or would i be better off with a Y8 head.
what up mannn..yeha ive been workin on my Y7 ever so slowly....one suggestion is..these questions ahve been answered a few milltion times over..so if u type it into the search bar...u'll find a hundred threads...if u r good with engine building..or kno ur shit with cars...or u can just read up on palces like erhe n HMT.com...uc an build urself a nice turbo kit for around a grand...or $700 as ryan told me....

i mean for me I/IM/H/E...those alone put me in the $650 range..my exhaust being most..since i had a shop do it custom...n i have AEM puelly's..n i probbably gained 10 crank horse...from a stock 106 crank horse..havent dyno'd so i wouldnt know....

but if i had known..n if i had reasearched...400 dollars more...n bulding my own turbo..id prob be in the 140-160WHP range with an untuned turbo set up..

but like i said....search around first...im sure u will find 90% of the answers u seek..

as for the capabilities..with enough time/money...u can get them baby's up to 300HP..not bad for 2000lb cars..lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not trying to dissuade you or anything but I also have a d16y7 in my dx. All I have done to the engine is a CAI which was a pretty good investment. I was planning on doing more but I bought a street bike instead (bad decision). Recently I’ve been throwing around the ideas of doing things to my engine to get more hp ie. A mini me, new intake manifold, throttle body, etc. Bolt-ons the the original engine to make it more efficient. Unless you are planning on really doing something drastic to your engine, which will cost you more money, your best bet is just to be patient and wait until you graduate. Get a job and reward yourself with a nice car. You’ll easily be able to afford a new SI or if u want luxury a TL. It is just my opinion here because I am in college too. You’re better off just keeping the car maintained and looking clean until you get a real job and then you can do whatever you want to it. Just my two cents and some ideas on what you can research if you're still interested in making your d16 more powerful.

·
Registered
Honda Civic LX
402 Posts
Not trying to dissuade you or anything but I also have a d16y7 in my dx. All I have done to the engine is a CAI which was a pretty good investment. I was planning on doing more but I bought a street bike instead (bad decision). Recently I’ve been throwing around the ideas of doing things to my engine to get more hp ie. A mini me, new intake manifold, throttle body, etc. Bolt-ons the the original engine to make it more efficient. Unless you are planning on really doing something drastic to your engine, which will cost you more money, your best bet is just to be patient and wait until you graduate. Get a job and reward yourself with a nice car. You’ll easily be able to afford a new SI or if u want luxury a TL. It is just my opinion here because I am in college too. You’re better off just keeping the car maintained and looking clean until you get a real job and then you can do whatever you want to it. Just my two cents and some ideas on what you can research if you're still interested in making your d16 more powerful.
yeah tahts what im doing!!!!..just playing with the Y7 for a funner ride...which it is now...but waitin till i grad..cause then i get a new car as my grad present...2 more years..but i dont think ill get rid of the D..ill prob just retune it..n make it a pure economy car..getting like 40 mpg city..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the imput. Yeah i just want to make it a little more fun, just a little more peppy. Other than that sounds like a great idea. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i also put a neuspeed short shifter on my car. i know it does not make the engine any different, but it definately makes it feel like ur driving a sportier ride and is more convenient too. if ur car is manual and short shifter is not a horrible way to spend 100 dollars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts