Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1996 EJ6 Coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so here's what happened.
I had to drive about 35 Miles somewhere for work, it was also pretty hot that day When i took the highway exit the engine started knocking, not extremly loud Then i took a look under the hood and the oil dipstick was empty... Then checked the coolant reservoir and that was empty too, besides all this the engine was very hot at that time. I drove it after the valves and it only makes the sound when i press the throttle, so when idling or just letting it roll it's gone.
Well now i really want to fix this torqueless wonder, so i adjusted the valves. They weren't that bad and it wasn't the problem. Now im wondering what the hell to knocking sound could be, i also recorded the sound. it might make it easier so someone could recognize it. Here it is

For anyone that could help, Thanks in advance(im willing to send the helper some cool shit if i can fix the issue)

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Agreed on rod knock.

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
1996 EJ6 Coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh lawd. Ive had quite some people telling me it's one of the rods. tommorow im going to see if i can find out if its one of the rods. Thanks for the advice lads, Luckely im getting about 2500 euro's on damage money because retards drove into it when it was parked.

·
Banned
Honda civic
13 Posts
A way to test and this is 90% true... drop the oil pan, reach up to the connecting rods and try to move them... they will wiggle from crank pulley to flywheel/flexplate direction, but shouldn't move from exhaust to intake direction if that makes sense... but yes I agree sounds definitely like rod knock.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,034 Posts
ouch. yeah, y series are known for spinning rods. its now more of a game of "who can guess which rod let go"

Im going with number 3

·
Registered
1996 EJ6 Coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And the price goes to! (drum roll please) CHRISFROM1986!!!
Yeah pulled out the spark cable from cilinder one and the sound stopped, so i guess we found the issue. Does this mean it's smart to get an engine from the scrap yard and throw that in?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Agree with Beer. Scrapyard is a crap shoot how the engine was treated before it ended up there. More reputable importers have an X days start up guarantee ... and the JDM motors often tend to be lower mileage. Hmotorsonline.com has a pretty good reputation from what I've heard.

If you're planning on doing a full rebuild of whatever you get anyway ... you could roll the dice on something from the scrapyard since you could probably get it sooner.

·
Registered
1996 EJ6 Coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very good advice guys, it seems im getting a total of 3000 euro's for the damage, so i might sell it. Or i just keep driving the bitch till the motor dies, drop in a new one. But one thing, i live in the netherlands so i won't be using hmmotors. There are many many scrap cars around here though. even CRX's with B16 engine's so i could always look around.
Thing is like most of you guys here on the forum, I really like this car, and the coupe that i own aren't that much around anymore. Here in the netherlands Some in good condition with about 220.000 KM,S on the clock go for about 3000 euro's to bad this engine just had 177.000
Just have checked the oil a lot more often..

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
If you haven't run it too long like that it may still be able to be rebuilt. A machinist can regrind the crank and provide undersized bearings and it may be alot cheaper than scrap or online. Just be sure to clean the pickup screen and oil pan etc. of all shavings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts