Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the group. I'm currently in the process of swapping my z6 head onto a donor y7 block. I'm at a bit of an impass at the moment, and could use some help.

My first question is if I use my z6 wiring harness, do I need more than the distributor conversion plug(obd1-2)? I've read that the z6 distributor is incompatible because of bolt pattern? Also, that the plugs are different. This may be dumb, but the alternators are universal correct? I'm aware of the plug difference, just didn't know if there was a power output difference.

I'm also using the z6 IM, and while I'm still transcribing the hose routing there is a "black box" on the block that has a small female end where the z6 IM hose is larger. I tried putting the z6 "black box" on, since the female ends aren't universal on either side, and it seemed to work but I feel like it didn't seat as well.
Does anyone have experience with this? I've been searching for a few hours on these problems to no avail, so I figured I'd try here.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
Use the z6 distributor and you won't need to do any wiring. Plug and play.

The alternators are universal so just use the z6 (obd1) alternator.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man, huge help. I've finished up all that, I used the "black box thing" I was talking about from the z6.I guess I was paranoid before, because it fit well this time.

Now I just have to find out where some hoses go. There's one on the fuel rail, throttle body, and IM that I'm missing hoses for. And one tiny hose I can't find a mate for.
Also, the plug that runs up the timing cover has nothing to plug into on the obd1 harness. Omit it?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
That big nipple on the back of the intake manifold goes to the brake booster.

The little on that's on the back connected to the black solenoid goes to the canister under the fuel filter. I think that's where it goes. Don't really need it.

The nipple on the throttle body goes to that same cansister. Again not really needed.

That plug by the timing cover isn't needed on obd1 92-95 civic.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks man. This is my first time opening an engine much less doing a mini me swap, so there are a lot of things I'm unfamiliar with. It was much more straight forward than I expected, to be honest. I really appreciate the help though, I was stuck on that part.
I saw a thread where someone said it was a terrible idea to swap a z6 on a y7, blah blah, sell the z6 get a y8 you're wasting your time kind me of bs. It had me super discouraged for a while.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
I know when putting a z6 head on a y8 block there's timing issue. Not sure if it's the same for the z6 head on a y7 block.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as installation, the timing part was pretty smooth. All the marks lined up on the crank pulley. (How do I go about torquing that? I haven't seen a torque wrench that goes that high.)

I did end up finding a thread about a guy doing one in an obd1 vehicle. Not much more than a parts list and a couple pointers, though he did mention it to be like "changing a head gasket". So far it's proven to be true, but I am one to second guess myself. I hope to have it ready to drop in tomorrow.

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,034 Posts
y7 and y8 are the same things minus the heads.....and even then they are very similar. google is helpful.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh man, google? What's that?.. I appreciate the input, but I've done extensive amounts of research. I don't expect, nor do I want, handouts. Though google had the information, it was the context that was causing confusion so, I thought I'd reach out for advice.
We're merely conversating now. My previous issue was overcome and seemingly irrelevant to the progression of my build.

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
I know when putting a z6 head on a y8 block there's timing issue. Not sure if it's the same for the z6 head on a y7 block.
I wouldnt call it a timing issue. TDC is always TDC for the bottom ends, Y series vs A/Z series. So set the block to TDC like usual.

And then use the service manual procedure for which ever head you are using to install the timing belt. If you use a Z6 head with a Z6 cam, use a Z6 cam gear and a Z6 service manual. Done. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts