Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Civic DX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've started my D16 turbo build and came across an issue today. I have a D16Y7 block from a 96 DX Civic and found out that my catalytic converter is welded onto my exhaust manifold. So when I replace the OEM exhaust manifold with the turbo one, I will no longer have a cat.

It's my understanding that the EX exhaust system (from a Y8) is set up differently and has the cat located further down so when you install the turbo everything is in place.

My question is, what are my options since my cat is welded onto the exhaust manifold? I was thinking of buying a new cat and just welding it onto the pipe which bolts into the downpipe from the turbo, but obviously buying a new cat would be kinda expensive. I could also go without a cat but I would much rather have one. I live in California so the laws on emissions are pretty strict.

Also, what have other people on d-series done when boosting their Y7? Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,833 Posts
If you live in Cali then there are very few turbo CARB kits available and most are discontinued and IIRC Cali has changed the acceptance of some of those kits. Also those kits didn't have intercoolers and adding one violated the CARB regs. So might as well go full balls if you are going turbo.

Also what good is a OEM exhaust going to do if you go turbo anyways, all stock exhaust should be ripped out and replaced with some mandrel bent pipes and minimally restrictive mufflers.

·
Registered
1996 Civic DX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was planning on piecing together the turbo to save money. I wasn't anticipating on it being smog legal either. My plan was to put everything back to stock when I had to get it smogged and then install the turbo again after. I'm mainly just concerned with how most people have done their system on a Y7 and if anyone had any creative ideas

·
Registered
1996 Civic DX
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone else with this issue, I think I may have solved it. My idea is to buy a new cat for a Y8 that isn't legal in California. Since they won't ship it to me here in Cali, I'll ship it to my friend in Texas who will then ship it back to me here. Then I'll just run the exhaust like an EX. Will probably get a Yonaka

1 - 5 of 5 Posts