Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done it,i tried searching but i didnt come up with anything relevant.I know the z6 bottoms ends are very stout but i came a cross a d16y7 with 82,000 original miles with a z6 head and i plan to pick it up this monday.Thoughts on building it for boost? How well does the bottom end hold up with say 300-400whp? Im asking this primarily because i heard somewhere a while back that the z6 cranks have i believe 4 oil jets,compared to any other d series which only has 2. Basically i want to know if the bottom end will be able to compensate the oil flow,with the amount of power along with my trips to 8500 rpm.

My build thread should be coming along within a month,once i get this new job up and running and im back on my feet :)

So far all i have in mind is
crower stage 2 turbo cam
skunk 2 valve springs and retainers
most likely skunk 2 standar size valves
port and polished head
either 75.5 or 76mm bore with just a block guard
eagle rods
nippon or vitara pistons,unsure of which im going to settle with
around a 62trim ar turbo with inline pro tubular ram horn manifold
micro polished crank and main journals

and other odds and ends but that just about covers it,i still have much research to do because im not sure what c.r. i plan to stick with and i want to go the extra mile to make sure the motor can continually be pushed.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
FJT was rolling a Y7 w/ vitaras and H-beams (stock head) and went 12's in an EJ I believe. 99EJ6T also had a Y7 (also a stock head IIRC) and was putting down high 200 whp on something like 15 psi of boost.

Keep searching.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
y7's are fun for boost.... non-vtec helps out the tuning issues a bit( at least thats what I have heard).....

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
if u plan to push 400 u will need to port the oil pump or buy an eftermarket highflow one. the y motors tend to have oil starvation because of the weak oiling system. also u would be better off sleeving it for 75mm pistons then boring to 76mm(personal opinion) go with viratas not nippons. and i am pretty sure that u will be running 8.5:1 compression with the vitaras and h beams. if u go with a .63 trim u will more then likely want a t3/t4 turbo. and invest in some good bearings to make the motor last a long time. oem usually are best but ACL race bearings are good aswell.

·
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob
11,892 Posts
if u plan to push 400 u will need to port the oil pump or buy an eftermarket highflow one. the y motors tend to have oil starvation because of the weak oiling system. also u would be better off sleeving it for 75mm pistons then boring to 76mm(personal opinion) go with viratas not nippons. and i am pretty sure that u will be running 8.5:1 compression with the vitaras and h beams. if u go with a .63 trim u will more then likely want a t3/t4 turbo. and invest in some good bearings to make the motor last a long time. oem usually are best but ACL race bearings are good aswell.
I ran the #'s b/c I actually have a Y7 block I need to build and the c/r w/ vitaras, 2 layer Y8 HG, and 0.020" of the head gets the c/r to 8.0:1 or so. BUT FJT does have those new h-beams coming out that will compensate for the pin height of the vitaras.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya i heard of the oil issure thats why i was wondering if its worth taking the risk by putting money into it.It will be a y7 with z6 head so i can stay running the p28 without removing vtec. As for the sleeves my build is quite capable of pressing them in,just figured id salvage what honda already put in there. I will be running a t3/t4 turbo.As for bearing i will get acl because they come in the kit with the vitaras.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts