Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys., whats up?..I'm new to the forums (names chris.. from toronto) and I'm planning on building up a d16y7 over the winter months. I work in a shop so I'm not completley clueless as to what to do but I'm just looking for advice on name brands to buy to begin my build. Such as what brand of pistons and rods and what not. I'm looking to run boost. My goal is 275-300 whp. With this amount of power am i going to have to look into building my tranny or switching my crank? Am i going to have to do head work? etc. Thanks for your help guys..I have be lurking through the forums for a while and have got alot of info, but still curious.

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Stock crank is fine. Stock head/cam are fine. Stock Transmission is fine.

You will need a built bottom end, clutch, injectors, cold plugs, tuning, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright guys, thanks for the responses. I'll check other threads and see what other guys are doing. And yes I plan on doing the clutch while the engine is out as well as my fule system, fule pump/filter/regulator and injectors. and of course tuning! IF i do decide to do head work maybe a bisi 3.6 cam would it allow for more psi then just a built bottom end?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
one more question..sorry guys if its been posted before but whats the difference between a d16y7 and d15b? I'm having trouble finding a d16y7 block but i found a d15b..is it harder to find parts for a d15b or is it relativity the same? and i understand this is a d series forum but i also found a good deal on a b20..are parts more expensive for a b series over a d or once again about the same?? thanks in advance guys!

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
IF i do decide to do head work maybe a bisi 3.6 cam would it allow for more psi then just a built bottom end?
No, no cam will ever increase PSI. Search! Try Howstuffworks.com and get familiar with internal combustion engines.

one more question..sorry guys if its been posted before but whats the difference between a d16y7 and d15b? I'm having trouble finding a d16y7 block but i found a d15b..is it harder to find parts for a d15b or is it relativity the same? and i understand this is a d series forum but i also found a good deal on a b20..are parts more expensive for a b series over a d or once again about the same?? thanks in advance guys!
I did a Google search for "Differences between D16Y7 and D15B" and found the answer.

Welcome.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Stock crank is fine. Stock head/cam are fine. Stock Transmission is fine.

You will need a built bottom end, clutch, injectors, cold plugs, tuning, etc.
X2

Stock crank is forged from the factory, would wont need something else.

You might want an LSD for the tranny to be able to actually put the power to the ground. Maybe a fuel pump? I'm not too sure how much the stock one can take.

Personally I would go D16Z6. But I'm a little bias.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
X2

Stock crank is forged from the factory, would wont need something else.

You might want an LSD for the tranny to be able to actually put the power to the ground. Maybe a fuel pump? I'm not too sure how much the stock one can take.

Personally I would go D16Z6. But I'm a little bias.
mostly good info

yes stock crank is forged, it can handle way more than the sleeves in the motor can.....z6/y8 head will be fine stock....others would be much better ported and worked on with a mild cam....so long as your speaking of a jdm d15b then yes it is a good motor....z6/a6 blocks are probably the best inho....just because of the massive amount of parts available for them...the y7/y8 blocks come in close behind....do some searching you'll see why

you do not need an lsd....there are plenty of people making good amount of power on a 100% stock trans

click the link in my sig for my build threead

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice build man..repped for that. I found a d16y8 that im gunna grab early this week. Now if i dont really care much for the vtech cause i wanna run boost..could i thorw my y7 head on the y8 block? and what about the oil feed line? do i just not attach that? or do i need to take certain percautions? and will my d16y7 ecu work with the y8 head even though its a non vtech ecu? thanks guys! will rep fpr help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Get a y8 head and put ur y7 cam an rockers in it all uoy have to change is is the rocker caps so like my motor is y7 bottom y8 head y7 cam and rockers y8 rocker caps you get a smaller better designed cc and ofcourse the quench of the y8 head and the flow of a vtec i love my lil froekenstien it perks it up a WHOLE lot

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but i dont really care much for vtech, im just wondering if i throw the y7 head on is it cool to leave the oil feed line just disconnected? or could i throw the whole y8 block and head in with my d16y7 ecu and still run fine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't think ud wanna vtec it specially if ur gonna boost it. (just what I heard lol) non vtec y7 block with z6 head and y8 im on 6psi is my goal. Nothing more

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so i can just throw in the whole y8 and it will wire up to my stock y7 ecu? and leaving the oil feed line disconnected is ok?

·
Registered
80 Posts
What you will need
Y8 head
Y8 hg
The caps that hold the y8 rocker assembly together on the ends
Y7 cam
Y7 rocker assembly with the y8 rocker caps imstalled on the assem.
Then reconfigure your vac and fuel lines a lil and your good to go
There will not be any wires to run since your still non vtec the only thomg that will be vtec on your car will be the fact that your head and prob your im come ofg a vtec motor

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol i dunno if your understanding my question %100..I want to use just the stock y8 head and y8 block without having to switch parts from my y7..I'm NOT looking to do a mini-me. is that okay with my y7 ecu (full y8 engine) cause thats the only ecu i have.

repped for helping though!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
No your y7 ecu u will not work. Your best bet will be to switch to obd1 also for tuning purposes. Just do more homework and search alot. Ive been lurking on this site for two years reading and searching. And i still learn something new everyday i log in. Dont do ahimg till you kno what your build build plan an and the look aat the if part of your build and plan some more. Make a parts list ect.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts