Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello D-series.org

I have done a ton of research but not enough to really answer one burning question of mine. I hope I get my answer but maybe this will just be one more thread about "swap out the y5 for a y8" etc. I am very familiar with VTEC-E, lean-burn, etc.

I m hoping people of great Honda experience can give more information.

Now to the question.

Can you tune a P28 or P06 ecu or something similar to utilize the low cam profile in the Y5 head?

I have not been able to find or think of a reason that would make it not possible. *it may be obvious*

Like I said earlier I know lean-burn is the main reason but that is in the ecu, so swap to a chipped ecu and you have effectively deleted the "software" portion of VTEC-E, but the hardware is present and is what I want to utilize. Hence the question and I know hundreds of others out there would love the rollers in the Y5 head. So what's the problem???

Not a honda n00b, just a tuning n00b.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
No performance advantage. This is only for fuel mileage, and you wont see anything unless its 100% factory.

If you had bothered to search, you would find the manual transmission-equipped cars have a factory wideband, making it a pain in the butt to find adapters.

Best bet for performance is to source a d16y8 harness, intake manifold, OBD2 a or b to OBD1 conversion, and chip a P28 to run it properly. Lean burn mode will be disabled.

d16y5 intake manifold APPEARS Y8, but is sufficating. The power increase over a d16y7 is ONLY because its a plenum design. a healthy d16y7 with a d16y8 intake manifold will make more power, and get better gas mileage since lean burn mode will be disabled on Y5

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Out of curiosity why would you need to remove the wideband? I mean you might have to move some wires around but crome can handle a wideband in place of a narrow band o2 sensor...

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
Out of curiosity why would you need to remove the wideband? I mean you might have to move some wires around but crome can handle a wideband in place of a narrow band o2 sensor...
Yea true. But it normally has to be rewired and most just replace it with a narrowband.
And the wodebamd ot uses i believe is a 0 to 3.7v. Vs the normal wb of 0 to 5v.

But ya as you said you can rewire it and keep it for crome.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I believe crome gives you the option to rescale the voltage for a wideband, so you might have to borrow a wideband with known values to calibrate the stock honda one, but that doesnt sound to hard.

Overall I wouldnt toss out the stock wideband unless there was a really good reason to.

·
Registered
ej8
6,367 Posts
I believe crome gives you the option to rescale the voltage for a wideband, so you might have to borrow a wideband with known values to calibrate the stock honda one, but that doesnt sound to hard.

Overall I wouldnt toss out the stock wideband unless there was a really good reason to.
True, but imo. Its 10times easier to swap in a stock narrowband and just add a wideband setup. Easier way your still need to rewire the hardness for a 4 wire sensor vs the 5wire wideband.
And
Like you said your need to find the afr voltage offset.

But thats just IMO.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Dont you guys think if people were able to make use of a factory wideband they would have propvisions for it? Its something no one has deemed worthwhile in 20 years of these cars being around.

Like I said earlier, swap to a Y8 foundation, then convert to P28 for tuning.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
People used to use the stock honda wideband. It used to be one of the cheapest options available. I think prices on other widebands have come down so much that it just really isnt as big a deal.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
The biggest issue is that there is no code left with whatever you are using to actually correctly utilize the factory wieband, which would be better than nearly anything aftermarket under about $300.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I Know, I Know, "swap a Y8"... I understand what parts are the limiting factors to the D16Y5

So this is what i have picked up from you guys so far...

Need a 4 wire O2 sensor, pre-cat, to work with the chipped P28

But adding a wideband controller like the LC-2 would be necessary as well but would not replace the 4 wire required for the ECU.

Got that right?

So the absolute minimum requirement to run the P28 are:

obd2a-obd1
Crome
LC-2
4 wire pre-cat O2 sensor

am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
That would work, but although I havent used crome recently I was under the impression you coukd use a wideband instead of a narrowband and custom scale the wideband to have it read accurately.

So unless I am missing something, and I might be, it should be possible to make a p28 and crome work with just a wire adapter and maybe moving a wire or two around.

Or does the stock honda wideband require a control board to work with a p28? I honestly dont remember....

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
And then make a map since there isnt any out there that are eaily downloaded.

Also this has been done before.
who has done it?? and where are they so I can pick their brain???

The only difference to run a D16Y8 basemap on a D16Y5 should be VTEC engagement, correct?

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
i have boosted a d16y5 but im not positive on how the egr and lean burn work, it seems you could use an ouput in crome to control the egr valve and make it function still with a chipped ecu. the lean burn seems like you can just tune it into the vacuum area of the map like russell did to get 68mpg.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would probably go with a Y8 Mani to delete the EGR or not, now I know that's possible as well.

Wouldn't lean burn be gone anyway because it wouldn't be the D16y5 basemap??

Who's Russell and where is the thread? Thanks good info!

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Simplest way to install a 4 wire O2 sensor?
Y8 harness?
Or splice?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Changing from 5 to 4 wires..... I would just splice.

·
Registered
98 Civic HX D16Y5
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think I found some info on which wires are what.

Anyone made an adapter(male 5 wire to female 4 wire)?

It's been done and no one posted results anywhere?

I remember bensebuilt had a d16y5 build somewhere on HT. As far as I can remember he didn't do too bad...

i have boosted a d16y5 but im not positive on how the egr and lean burn work, it seems you could use an ouput in crome to control the egr valve and make it function still with a chipped ecu. the lean burn seems like you can just tune it into the vacuum area of the map like russell did to get 68mpg.
What basemap did you use Blu3?
VTEC engagement?
What turbo? Stock internals and head?

·
Two men shy of a group
99 civic sedan ex
1,312 Posts
I think I found some info on which wires are what.

Anyone made an adapter(male 5 wire to female 4 wire)?

It's been done and no one posted results anywhere?

I remember bensebuilt had a d16y5 build somewhere on HT. As far as I can remember he didn't do too bad...

What basemap did you use Blu3?
VTEC engagement?
What turbo? Stock internals and head?
honestly i couldnt tell you because i got it tuned on the dyno, i knew nothing on how to tune and i didnt have an ostrich at the time to look at the maps. chad barber tuned my hx and the way he tuned it vtec kicked in like a b16, you could hear it loud and clear (i believe it kicked in around 5500rpm).

i was running a completely stock d16y5, only thing that was upgraded were the fuel injectors to 525cc. it had stock head and manifold with the egr and i was running a ramhorn turbo manifold with a garrett t3 60 trim .42/.48.

here is rrussells thread about getting 70mpg turbo http://www.d-series.org/forums/forced-induction/117099-i-did-some-fe-testing-64-8mpg.html

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Sac, when I say swap to a Y8 foundation, I mean wiring and intake manifold

the Y8 harness and such wont support the EGR, and it would be a hinderance on potential performance and gas mileage.

You can cheap out on the Y8 intake manifold (you can swap your fuel rail and injectors and throttlebody onto it). Make sure its a 96-98 variety because of those air injection holes on 99-00. Check the back of your current manifold to see if the IACV is on it. If not, make sure you buy an AUTOMATIC d16y8 intake manifold. If IACV IS on your manifold, buy the MANUAL d16y8 manifold.

once you have the manifold and harness figured out, you can grab the ecu harness conversion, a chipped P28, and be one major step closer to having some real fun with your car.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts