Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having some problems with my 98 Civic Hx manual. Started with what I thought was a cracked exhaust manifold but I replaced the exhaust and it continued. Lean burn constantly engages and disengages. I replaced the air fuel ratio sensor with a new NTK 24300 I also replaced the rear o2. When lean burn engages the A/F ratio goes to 22:1 and never fails within 45 seconds lean burn disengages and the A/F ratio drops to 18:1 and reengages, over and over again. When it does the engine "surges" or power is boosted. Naturally this is very annoying. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

New NGK heat range 4 plugs, new EGR within the last year and cleaned out the ports.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
did you clean the EGR ports all through everywhere? or just the stuff under the manifold cover?

18:1 is still in lean burn mode.

the hitachi distributors those HX models use can sometimes cause this surging, due to the ICM giving up. Yours will look like a flat piece of plastic with the spade connectors angled and pointing up.

They are cheap on ebay. While NOT considered long lasting, they are a cheap way to find problems, and even just to have a spare.

go on ebay, search civic hx ignition module, and filter listings by distance nearest. I got my own ebay parts in a day or two whenever its under 500 miles distance away

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you clean the EGR ports all through everywhere? or just the stuff under the manifold cover?

18:1 is still in lean burn mode.

the hitachi distributors those HX models use can sometimes cause this surging, due to the ICM giving up. Yours will look like a flat piece of plastic with the spade connectors angled and pointing up.

Shoved a coat hanger in the port leading to the exhaust chamber, filled it with brake parts cleaner and blasted it out with compressed air. I cleaned the manifold ports as well. I did all this because I had a MIL for EGR flow.

Damn ICM's for the Hitachi are damn costly, I can buy a whole Rich Porter distributor for a few dollars less than just a ICM lol. I was planning on buying a new cap and rotor so I'll just pick one of those.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Also, do NOT forget to check out rockauto.com

they can sometimes have stupid good deals if they are moving warehouse part numbers

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I swear every rock auto listing is WRONG and you eat shit when the parts show up incorrect. Fail.
zero problems from me. My brother has spent over 2 grand at rockauto over the years, 0 issues.

Researching the listed part number goes a long way to avoid problems. Ive found a couple things here and there, that if I had not, I might have had some wasted money

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
How can they be sure the parts they got from that old warehouse are correctly listed and organized? They cant.
dunno.

Ive never gotten a part that was incorrect.

I have caught a few listings that said they fit X vehicle when, after researching, it did not (example, ignitor for HX civic fitting DX/EX/Si? nope lol)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use rockauto for more of a research tool thou I have bought a few things from them with no problems. I use Amazon more but their search algorithm is junk so I use rockauto to find part numbers and then find the parts on Amazon. I also have an account with WorldPAC so can get OEM/OES parts that are normally not sold other then at the dealer.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I used rockauto because the same part number external igniton coil was $6 plus $3 shipping compared to $45 at autozone lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts