Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys sorry kind of a noob with the vtec e motor what i wanted to know is can i just bolt up the y8 head on it still using the y5 block is there any difference with the y8 block and the y5. i have the motor in a 92 hatch with a p28 ecu unchipped (runs like crap right now) it is switched back to obd1 can i just put the y8 head on and use the same dizzy to keep it obd1 and will the p28 run the motor fine is there any extra wires i have to hook up to the head different than the y5 i dont have the egr hooked up or anything and i already changed the 5 wire o2 sensor i can get my p28 chipped to run the y5 better but i was wondering if the y8 head will run better than chipping the ecu to run the vtec e right. if anybody could help me out with this i would appreciate it or if anybody has done it before like swap heads on there hx or something let me know thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can't get the y5 to run right w/out either the y5 ECU (convert to OBD2) or the AEM EMS.

Chipping an ECU is just bullshit. It's not proper tuning and it's not safe, reliable, or effective. The same goes for piggybacking the ECU.

Your car is OBD1 so get an OBD1 head. If you get a Z6 head, you need a Z6 distributer and no other distributer will work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so can i get a z6 head and bolt it up to the y5 block or do i have to change anything if i just use the z6 dizzy and the head do i have to get everything like intake mani or anything like that or can i just use the y5 stuff just change the head sorry for the dumb questions but i am not familar with the y5 motor i picked up a car cheap and it had it in there already thanks for any help

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
y5 intake mani and fuel rail on z6 head

alright so i found out i have to use one head stud from a z6 and the other 8 i can use from the y5 block if i use the cam gear from the z6 and use the timing belt from the y5 am i going to have timing issues also can i use the fuel rail and intake mani from the y5 on the z6 head or do i have to get the z6 head with the mani and fuel rail and throttle body or will all the y5 parts bolt up to the z6 i already have the obd1 dizzy to use with z6 head. and can i use the y5 head gasket with the z6 head somebody please help because i found a good deal on a complete rebuilt z6 head so i want to know what i need before i pick it up thank you

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
You can't get the y5 to run right w/out either the y5 ECU (convert to OBD2) or the AEM EMS.

Chipping an ECU is just bullshit. It's not proper tuning and it's not safe, reliable, or effective. The same goes for piggybacking the ECU.

Your car is OBD1 so get an OBD1 head. If you get a Z6 head, you need a Z6 distributer and no other distributer will work.
Balogna.

y5 head + jdmd15b bottom end = 46 mpg & 15.6 @ 85mph all on a chipped p28 ecu, tuned on the street.

The y5 head is the same casting as the y8 head. Only difference is the rockers and cam, without going into electronics.

z6 dizzy is the same as d15z1 dizzy, btw.
-josh-

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
Using a z6 head will lower the compression of your motor.

Why are you wanting to swap heads anyway? You have a good setup right there, all you need is tuning.

If you did this swap, you still need the obd-1 o2 sensor, not the 5-wire. The y5 manifold would physically fit, and I think it's very similar to a y8 mani, besides the egr, which won't be plugged in anyway. Use a z6 head gasket. The z6 distributor will work. Timing belt should be fine as well. I would suggest getting a new one, though, if the one you've got has been on there a while.

Also, if you do this swap, let me know. I'll buy the complete y5 head for 90 shipped, lol.

Hope this helps.
-josh-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
chipped p28

The reason i was wanting to swap the head because i was not familar with the y5 head with the vtec e set up and the different cam i really liked the roller rockers ive just dealt with the z6 and a6 heads alot more but i mean i've been searching on here and honda tech and ive learned that alot of people have ran the motor with a p28 chipped and seem to like it alot and still have good gas milage i love the gas milage now i only feel up every 3 weeks for 27$ and i drive every day. I just didnt know if it was possible to run the vtec e with a obd1 ecu because alot of people told me that you have to run the p2n ecu to make that motor run right and i wasnt about to switch my car over to obd2 plus i didnt want to use that egr and 5 wire 02 i would love to keep my set up so i guess i am off to the tuner to reprogram my p28 i'll let everybody know how it runs thanks for the tip to research more about the y5 i've read alot of storys of people having more power with the y5 with the ex or si tranny than a stock ex i hope its true becaue right now my car lags so much a semi truck was pulling on me :( but it's my fault untuned ecu with running the motor sorry for the long writing (btw sorry man you talked me into it cant sell u the head for 90)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts