Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all.
Recently bought 98 Civic DX which come to be JDM swap. I read alot here and there but did not find if there is any way to figure out which of the two heads - D16Y5 or D16Y8 i have, without opening the valve cover. The fact that probably the original Y7 manifold is used make my attempts even more difficult. As i do not wont to open the cover unless absolutely unavoidable can someone help me with this? Sorry if its being discussed somewhere but i did not find it with the search engine.
Thanks in advance,

The block reads D16A, and the head code is P2J-3 stamped 97. It currently runs on the stock DX ECU from Y7. The car is manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answers.
drtalon123
1- The information you provide is available on the web,so i know the specs of all three engines by hearth ;-). The problem is that p2j code is used on both heads y5 and y8. And only God knows where the previous owner source this head from(and the owner himself;-). So is there any diference of the vtec valve on the regular vtec and vitec-e lean burn and what exactly it is?
2- Yeah off cause the Vtec is just hanging there as the Y7 is non VTEC and probably the guy just dont like to spend more money so sell it as is, as far as it is running, no mater the poor engine management this way. No any engine codes at all though despite the light seems to be working. Guess the ecu is hacked somehow?!?!?

robgoof Thanks for the advise - i know it is easy but my only concern is if i have to replace the rubber or cork gasket after that as if i don't some leak might develop. Do you know the torque setting for the valve cover by chance?

So as a conclusion should i consider there is no any way to externally distinguish between Y5 and Y8 without opening and seeing the rockers especially when its all assembled and on a running engine? I heard Y5 is more rare so that's my only hope now.
P.S. please let me know if any photos might be helpful. If no luck I'm going to open it as a last resort.

Thanks again

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Yeah, if you have verified you have a VTEC solenoid mounted to your head, the best way to tell would be what robgoof suggested and pop the valve cover. Rotate the engine over by hand, or disable fuel and spark and have someone crank over the engine while you watch the intake valves.

If only one intake valve is actuated by the cam during cranking, its VTEC-E and probably the Y5. If both valves are actuated, its normal VTEC and likely the Y8.

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Valve cover bolt torque is 7 ft/lbs, or (84 in/lbs), [10nm]

Make sure to re-snug bolts after initial torque. When the gasket settles after first pass, the bolt clamp can loosen significantly.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,989 Posts
you should be able to reuse the vc seal mght need to add rvt to the corners.

vtec solenoid is the same on y5 and 8.
y5 has roller rockers so it's easy to tell the difference ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot. I'm familiar with this way of checking and as per your words there is no other way, so going ahead to remove the cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rotate the engine over by hand, or disable fuel and spark and have someone crank over the engine while you watch the intake valves. If only one intake valve is actuated by the cam during cranking, its VTEC-E and probably the Y5. If both valves are actuated, its normal VTEC and likely the Y8.
Huh, it just flash me i can use the rotating method without removing the cover as from the oil filling cap i can see intake valves rocker of cylinder one. Sadly the rollers if present are not vissible as they fell below the cover but if one have the spy camera it might be possible to see even that trough the filler.
Thanks again.

·
Never finishes (TWSS)
91 Civic SI hb/ 01 GSR
1,920 Posts
I dont remember ever seeing a y5 jdm swap. Are you questioning if it was swaped or a y8/y5 was put on a d16a block?

I think a d16a is a obd2 z6 motor wearing a p08 head.

I have a feeling you have a y8 head on a jdm bottom end.

It would be odd for someone to use a y5 head over the stock y7 head that was in the car. They probably used a y8. I dont think that head came on the bottom end from factory

I think the jdm y8 motors are just called obd2 ZC vtec. Like most jdm engines, say ZC but only way to tell them apart is by obd0,1 or 2 and vtec or not

A6 is a obd0 non vtec zc
Y8 is a obd2 vtec zc and so forth.
You will need to pop the valve cover and take a look, super simple to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
To Evanguy: Its definitely swap as the Canadian DX comes with D16Y7. It is kinda hybrid made by someone as it still retains the stock Y7 computer and the VTEC is not active. The block is indeed D16A but as you mention very unlikely to be fitted with Y5 head from the factory.
I'm asking whether it is Y5 or Y8 to know should complete the swap with the appropriate computer/sensors or leave it as is cause i heard Y5 is more sophisticated to do.

All right guys. As i mention in my previous post the inlet valves on cylinder one are visible from the oil filler cap. What i see during the iddling is only one valve moving(the external one). At such rpm you cant see clear but the spring oscilating is obvious where the second valve spring does not move at all. Will post video if i manage tomorrow. So can i rely on this to confirm my engine is D16Y5 VTEC-E? That can explain why the swap was not done properly as i heard its more sophisticated than Y8.
Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts