Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I haven’t been pointed in a right direction, I want to do something different that isn’t done often where I’m from, I want to build a d16y4 turbo for track use/road use for my ek2

Is the d16y4 block good enough to just upgrade stuff? Or should I get a d16y8 bottom end? I’ve heard it’s stronger but that wasn’t confirmed

I want to eventually max out power for the d16y4 while being reliable under boost I’m not gonna push crazy boost

So in the end basically I’m asking should I get a d16y8 bottom end with a y4 top and if so what to build it with for reliable power
And reasonably priced, I’m totally fine with eBay parts if you guys can vouch a part that’s good :)
- thanks so much :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don’t know why there’s random “”’s in my sentences I didn’t add those, and that random link at the end isn’t mine either please ignore the A’s and the link

·
Registered
813 Posts
he must be from a far away place ,never seen anyone say  before ,Eh..

you can use your bottom end no need to go y8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol I’m here in Australia, and for some
Reason these random “”’s are appearing after I hit send? So weird

·
Registered
1 Posts
https://hydenoescape.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/d-series-references/

Hey mate, have a read through the above link, I put that info together back in 2012, there is a heap of references when I was looking at ways to potentially increase the power of my d16y4. If you’re planning on turbo, iirc the stock block can handle ~160kw atw. If you want a single cam vtec, keep the d16y4 block and get a d16y8 head. The gearbox that came with the d16y8 has slightly shorter gear ratios. There’s not that much difference really between the d16y8 head or d16y1 head.

B18B’s are pretty cheap these days and can always put a b16 head on down the track.

I ended up running my d16y4 into the ground and getting a b16a with a dc2r gbox with lsd. I still like the d16y4 but the biggest hurdle was the stock ecu. It’s different to every other d series motor. If you do want to persist with the d16y4 build, it may be worth trying to get some advice from ecuman if he’s still around.

Good luck with your build

1 - 6 of 6 Posts