Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 91 AWD Wagovan. I would like to keep the D (obviously) I just would like some opinions on a build.
My goal for the wagon is a DD with a auto-x/ road racing mindset.
I would like 250-300whp (not sure if that is asking to much for a DD)
I am wanting to go turbo because my HP goals seem a bit to high for N/A.......right?

My options:

- turbo d16a6 "mini-me"
- turbo d16a6
- turbo d16a8/9
- turbo DOHC ZC (don't like the DOHC but you may know something i don't)

A bit of a noob question, what is the Vitara piston set up? (as in Suzuki Vitara?) <---Is it reliable?

Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and any d15 build too..

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
just throw a turbo on your car and giver.

i thought it would be a good idea to have a DD with about 250-300 whp with a build bottom end for reliability...

but then i started buying all kinds of shit and before i knew it, it would be a stupidly dangerous daily driver.

even with 176whp i have now, i cant keep traction in 2nd with good tires. its fast and fun, but not a good daily driver, imho.

i guess what im trying to say it do it step by step, and enjoy every bit of it. turboing a car can be so rewarding if you take the time to learn about what you are doing and how it effects the motor.

a great way to learn is to check out some build threads. its almost like getting an opportunity to go through a build before even doing anything. it will help you learn a lot about why people are choosing parts for what reasons.

there is also years worth of posts here you can search through to find answers to specific questions you may have.

for instance, a stock bottom end can hold up to 200whp no problem if tuned properly. to me, a 2200lb car with 200whp would be lots of fun. ;)

check out my build thread

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

even with 176whp i have now, i cant keep traction in 2nd with good tires. its fast and fun, but not a good daily driver, imho.
I would not have that much of a problem in the AWD.

I think what I would like to know what is the best overall block to build on, d16a6, d16a8/9, d15, or dohc zc? Should I even bother the mini-me swap for what I am wanting?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts

i thought it would be a good idea to have a DD with about 250-300 whp with a build bottom end for reliability...

but then i started buying all kinds of shit and before i knew it, it would be a stupidly dangerous daily driver.

not bashing you or anything, but you say 176whp is dangerious and not good for a DD..

thats funny... for one, i can DD my 400+hp civic if i wanted... its all in how you drive it... and most turbo fwd cars spin in 2nd gear with street tires... how about spinning at 90mph and being all over the road while your trying to get traction in 3rd gear... now that would be a little bit too much for a DD... even with m/t radials... but then again, i dont have to go fast all the time if i didnt want to

·
My 91 Crx Hf
97 Civic Coupe
2,164 Posts
not bashing you or anything, but you say 176whp is dangerious and not good for a DD..

thats funny... for one, i can DD my 400+hp civic if i wanted... its all in how you drive it... and most turbo fwd cars spin in 2nd gear with street tires... how about spinning at 90mph and being all over the road while your trying to get traction in 3rd gear... now that would be a little bit too much for a DD... even with m/t radials... but then again, i dont have to go fast all the time if i didnt want to
hey never said it was dangerous. But I do agree with you on the fact its the way you drive it. How many thousands of people drive cars as fast as a civic with 200whp (every z28, corvette, some stangs, sti's, etc...)

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
"i thought it would be a good idea to have a DD with about 250-300 whp with a build bottom end for reliability...

but then i started buying all kinds of shit and before i knew it, it would be a stupidly dangerous daily driver."

yeah he did

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
I own a 91 AWD Wagovan. I would like to keep the D (obviously) I just would like some opinions on a build.
My goal for the wagon is a DD with a auto-x/ road racing mindset.
I would like 250-300whp (not sure if that is asking to much for a DD)
I am wanting to go turbo because my HP goals seem a bit to high for N/A.......right?

My options:

- turbo d16a6 "mini-me"
- turbo d16a6
- turbo d16a8/9
- turbo DOHC ZC (don't like the DOHC but you may know something i don't)

A bit of a noob question, what is the Vitara piston set up? (as in Suzuki Vitara?) <---Is it reliable?

Thanks

mehh, I would like to keep the SOHC D series.
You contradict yourself there buddy. D16A8/9 are both DOHC, as well as the DOHC ZC

A8, A9 and DOHC ZC are all the same aside from the lack of cat on the 8 or 9, cant remember which.

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
I would not have that much of a problem in the AWD.

I think what I would like to know what is the best overall block to build on, d16a6, d16a8/9, d15, or dohc zc? Should I even bother the mini-me swap for what I am wanting?

D16A6. You said you want SOHC, so cross off the A8/9 and the dohc zc.

Make up your mind.

Build a D16A6 with D16A6 head. Your AWD is front biased something like 80/20 IIRC, it's not like you have a wrx or anything... Don't think that your AWD is the shizzzzzzz when it's nothing to write home about.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
also good luck getting that AWD to hold up to 300hp

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
D16A6. You said you want SOHC, so cross off the A8/9 and the dohc zc.

Make up your mind.

Build a D16A6 with D16A6 head. Your AWD is front biased something like 80/20 IIRC, it's not like you have a wrx or anything... Don't think that your AWD is the shizzzzzzz when it's nothing to write home about.
I never said that I was anything like a wrx BUT, with the RT-4WD it will not have massive wheel spin.

I was wrong about the SOHC ZC code, and I am sorry, just try not to be such a asshole about it next time.

All I want out of the RT-4wd is just like the video posted. NO WHEEL SPIN!!

well it had no problem holding up to 400hp (with NO rear diff modification) (in video), why would 300hp be a problem?

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
D16A6. Build a D16A6 with D16A6 head.
Seems to me, this should be what you already have, so it get's my vote. With a turbo, any of these engines will get you to your goals.

well it had no problem holding up to 400hp (with NO rear diff modification) (in video), why would 300hp be a problem?
That Civic has always seemed like urban legend stuff to me. 400HP on a stock block Z6 thru a stock AWD setup. I'm sure it ran like a raped ape for those vids, but how long did it really run? I have no idea what a Wagovan drivetrain will hold, but I'm guessing 400WHP is out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wagovan drivetrain will hold, but I'm guessing 400WHP is out.
The fact that the wagons are RT-4WD help out my case AND The drivetrain is stronger than most people think.
The transfer case is driven off the ring gear and all the shafts and 90 degree gears are decent size.
The 4WD D series tranny uses a B series size output shaft spline and an intermediate shaft.
The driveshafts are comparable in size to some rear wheel drive cars. The rear diff has about a 7" ring gear and has proven to be sturdy.
Another thing to remember is that the viscous coupling softens the shock to the rear drive components.
If it was a solid AWD, I would undoubtedly break something.

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Fair enough! I have no direct knowledge of the AWD system (other than a friend had one new...). It sounds like you'll be OK at 250-300WHP from what you're saying.

It's already got a D16 motor, so you're good to go. That Notec motor is just waiting for some boost. Add some FJ-R Spec Rods, Vitara pistons, etc. and call it a day. Go-Autoworks basic turbo kit with a cast manifold and a Super 60 would work nicely. That kits even AC friendly I think.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your AWD is front biased something like 80/20 IIRC
Actually its 100% fwd until the center diff sences any slipping. Then it applies power to all the wheels not slipping.

And I have no problem handing wrx's thier own ass at teh autox's with this awd. STi's are another story, but regular wrx's arent all that.

Wish this thread would have came up when I did my search. Some good info in here. I got the same plans as you Mr Green. Im going to stick with the d16a6 and you will more than likley have to as well cause a lot of the other d motors dont have the bungs for the awd intermediate shaft.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fair enough! I have no direct knowledge of the AWD system (other than a friend had one new...). It sounds like you'll be OK at 250-300WHP from what you're saying.

It's already got a D16 motor, so you're good to go. That Notec motor is just waiting for some boost. Add some FJ-R Spec Rods, Vitara pistons, etc. and call it a day. Go-Autoworks basic turbo kit with a cast manifold and a Super 60 would work nicely. That kits even AC friendly I think.
I was wondering about the vitara pistons is that a brand? AND I have looked around and I commonly see a C/R of about 9.5:1 for a good PRE-boost power band so how would that be obtained with "vitara pistons" in a d16a6?

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
Im going to stick with the d16a6 and you will more than likely have to as well cause a lot of the other d motors dont have the bungs for the awd intermediate shaft.
Wasn't really thinking about that. ZC's have them I think, but no reason to do that. Stick with the A6 and use the $$$ for something else.

I was wondering about the vitara pistons is that a brand? AND I have looked around and I commonly see a C/R of about 9.5:1 for a good PRE-boost power band so how would that be obtained with "vitara pistons" in a d16a6?
It's the pistons out of a Grand Vitara. http://fjdistributors.com/ is a sponsor here and he can supply you with what you need for a rebuild. The problem with Vitaras is the have a lower deck height than D-series pistons. On stock length rods they yield about 7.5:1 CR. FJT now sells a custom rod that is meant to bring the Vitaras up to the top of the bore. This yields a 8.5:1 CR. Anything higher will require stock length forged rods with forged pistons (and a larger investment).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wasn't really thinking about that. ZC's have them I think, but no reason to do that. Stick with the A6 and use the $$$ for something else.

It's the pistons out of a Grand Vitara. http://fjdistributors.com/ is a sponsor here and he can supply you with what you need for a rebuild. The problem with Vitaras is the have a lower deck height than D-series pistons. On stock length rods they yield about 7.5:1 CR. FJT now sells a custom rod that is meant to bring the Vitaras up to the top of the bore. This yields a 8.5:1 CR. Anything higher will require stock length forged rods with forged pistons (and a larger investment).
First off, thanks for being helpful.
and thanks for referring me to Go-Autoworks I will most likely go with them.
IMO i think 8.5:1 < 9.5:1 for help in Pre-boost.....right?
I may need to look at other distributors to get my c/r to that rate.
Honestly I would not mind paying a little more $$$ for a reliable DD boosted d16.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts