Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought an eu8 with the d16w9 engine. 130hp is a dam good starting point for a 1.6 engine but I can find any info on how to tune one.Ive seen people saying its actually a d17 with changed numbers for the uk market. So I guess my question is would d17 mods work on this engine also

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recently bought an eu8 with the d16w9 engine. 130hp is a dam good starting point for a 1.6 engine but I can find any info on how to tune one.Ive seen people saying its actually a d17 with changed numbers for the uk market. So I guess my question is would d17 mods work on this engine also
Hey dude i have the exact engine in my car and i also cant seem to find any thing related to this engine so far. I have found some info though but i dont find that useful for my application. As far as i found out you can keep a D16W9 block and swap it with a D17 head and continue on from there, but i dont think that its valid at all.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
not much tuning for 01-05 civics. K=Pro plus the required AEM camgear to help the ecu maintain the proper timing setup.

Before doing anything I would 100% verify it is not simply an old D16 pushed forward into your market. They are NOT compatabile, old D series versus D17, as far as head swapping.

Easy check, compare the exhaust manifold bolt pattern. If it has 4-5 top holes, it is OLD d series. If it only has 2-3, it is like the D17, and UNIQUE.

If it is like D17, you can put a d16y8 vtec valvetrain in the head and enjoy full 16valve low and high cam, and NOT the typical 12valve to 16valve mode like D17

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
I take that back. Check online, the D16W9 has 2 stages of vtec crossover, a d16y8 valvetrain will NOT work.

If it had been like hte normal North American market single stage vtec, where it goes from 12valve mode to 16valve mode, then it will work.

swapping to a typical d17 head will give you this d16y8 swap ability

1 - 4 of 4 Posts