Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey! i just got a 7th gen civic with a 1.6 3-stage vtec engine. anybody out there from the philippines who'd like to share their mods or car pics? anybody from other places in the world who has great ideas in tuning this kind of engine.

a lot of people on this forum probably owns a D17A2. but if you got nice pics to share and good DIYs, please post them.

anyone wanna talk about their car, pls feel free to do so.

thanks!

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
for that motor, you can find out all kinds of info in the other forums...this one is mainly for the d17 motor. if you would like, introduce yourself in the party and bullshit section and post up some pics, you'll get some rep for it too ;)

·
Back to the D
891 Posts
If i'm not mistaken the 3 stage vtec engine came only in the 1.5 engines...
Can u post a pic of ur engine?
oh Welcome to the site :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's the d15b engine you're talking about prakash. it was released in japan for the EG and EK VTi model there. the EGs had 2-stage VTEC d15b while the later production models in EKs had the 3-stage d15b VTEC.

the d16w8 in my civic is a 3-stage version of the earlier d16 engines and it came in the 7th gens released in the philippines. i think it depends on the country where the car was released because there are countries where they have 1.6L 7th gens with 2-stage vtec (i forgot the engine code, sorry.)

i'll post pix in the vbgarage. :smile:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i uploaded pix. i think i'm in page 20 of the list. go check it out. =)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
custom_junky said:
for that motor, you can find out all kinds of info in the other forums...this one is mainly for the d17 motor. if you would like, introduce yourself in the party and bullshit section and post up some pics, you'll get some rep for it too ;)

sad to say that 7th gens in the philippines come with 1.6 engines and not 1.7 engines. but it's ok though, the engine specs for the d16w8 is good enough for philippine traffic conditions. go check out the engine specs at www.hondaphil.com

:)

by the way, they released a civic variant here with a 2.0 i-VTEC engine (K20A3) but it costs a lot more compared to the model variant i bought. hehe! not enough cash...

·
Back to the D
891 Posts
ok. Yeah maybe its country specific. If its as good as the 1.5 3 stage vtec engine i got, let me tell u that u'll enjoy every bit of this car!
If u drive slowly, its very economic and if u like to drive fast (like me) u'll love the high revving sound and performance ;-)

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
damn the us sucks ass...all we got was the d17

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
prakash, is that the d15b u got? that's a very good motor. i've read in an article in temple of vtec website that it's a sohc that has a performance like a dohc. i used to have an EG civic and i was opting to get that because the b16 motor here in the philippines is so expensive. hehe!

i've been driving most of the time in 12-valve mode to save up on fuel, but i did try to go very fast once. i never hit the redline and i think i wasn't able to hit the vtec point but i was accelerating like crazy. i was chasing another car (nissan cefiro 2.4 V6, dunno if it's stock or not) along a road with nice straights and good twists and turns. i know it's a mismatch, but i did catch up and was able to pass him a couple of times. but of course he got past me and went as fast as he could. hehe! i knew i couldn't leave him eating my dust but i was just testing my car along straights and turns.

i really felt the g-forces while turning and on some turns it kinda throws the car. i'm thinking of putting on a strut bar to help the car along turns.

i think i went to 120-130 kph at the most, hard acceleration, hard cornering at 60-70kph. i hope i didn't damage anything on the car. that run last saturday made me feel good about my car. even though it's bone stock i never thought it could perform quite good.

the 2.0 civic here is also an automatic. but from the reviews i've read the computer on the tranny allows it to hit redline, depending on how you press on the accelerator pedal. but nothing beats a manual tranny. i just wished they'd release a 2.0 manual civic.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
custom_junky said:
damn the us sucks ass...all we got was the d17

custom junky,

i've read in some thread about people fighting over the D17's specs. maybe you know what's puzzling me. is the D17 there in the US a 3-stage VTEC or is it a VTEC-E engine? with a compression ratio of 9.9:1, is it considered a high-compression engine?

thanks!

my engine only has a 9.4:1 comp. ratio. hehe!

·
Back to the D
891 Posts
Yep. I got the d15b 3stage vtec engine :)
From what i saw on the honda phillipines website, ur engine is 130hp too.
On mine the economy vtec is upto 3000rpm, depending on ur touch on the accelerator ;-)
I got the strut bar from factory, i'll definitely recommend it. It changes ur car! I drove a civic like mine but without the strut bar and the handling in corners is so much different!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Prakash said:
Yep. I got the d15b 3stage vtec engine :)
From what i saw on the honda phillipines website, ur engine is 130hp too.
On mine the economy vtec is upto 3000rpm, depending on ur touch on the accelerator ;-)
I got the strut bar from factory, i'll definitely recommend it. It changes ur car! I drove a civic like mine but without the strut bar and the handling in corners is so much different!

i forgot where i read it, but i think my engine's 12-valve mode operates up until 2500rpm-3000rpm, which just like you said, depends on how you press on the accelerator. 16-valve mode would be from 2500-6500 and vtec point would be 6500 onwards.

i watch drag races here when i could and i've seen some EG sedans and hatchbacks with tuned d15b. some even went faster than corollas with 4AGE engines. hehe!

did your car come with that engine from the factory or did u get an engine swap?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
roan24 said:
custom junky,

i've read in some thread about people fighting over the D17's specs. maybe you know what's puzzling me. is the D17 there in the US a 3-stage VTEC or is it a VTEC-E engine? with a compression ratio of 9.9:1, is it considered a high-compression engine?

thanks!

my engine only has a 9.4:1 comp. ratio. hehe!
yes the engine is a 9.9:1 ratio, and it is a VTEC-E, however, i'm going to do some research to find out if this can be altered and create even more power without any major modification, unfortunetly this will take ~2-3 years to complete due to lack of funds and that it is still my daily driver

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VTEC-E is not a good news for the D17... well i hope you find out and do more things on your engine. keep us posted on what you find in your research. that way we also learn. :smile:

any pics of your car?

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
no pics yet...i'm waiting until i can get the body fixed after some fuckhead decided to to back into me. and then i'll get some pics

·
Registered
1992 Honda Civic CX
113 Posts
hey roan24... where in the philippines are you located at? im visiting the philippines right now and i wanted to know where to find some jdm parts for my eg6... im staying in cavite with my relatives... pm me back

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just buy your parts in banawe or marikina, there are a lot of surplus shops.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey legomyEG6o I'm at Cavite. where in Cavite areyou staying?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts