Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to turbo my ep2 but have been hesitant due to the reliability and cost. Any one experienced with putting a turbo in these and how would I go about it what internal upgrades would I need? Could I keep my a/c? I want to get around 160/80 bhp.

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,237 Posts
it's the same as putting a turbo on any other non turbo car..
keeping a/c will depend on your turbo and manifold choice.

you will need to figure out some kind of programmable engine management and some larger fuel injectors..

Bigger ring gap arp head studs and rod bolts .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's the same as putting a turbo on any other non turbo car..
keeping a/c will depend on your turbo and manifold choice.

you will need to figure out some kind of programmable engine management and some larger fuel injectors..

Bigger ring gap arp head studs and rod bolts .
Yeah I was thinking of a ECU piggyback system for the time being and yeah I'm going to have to do some more research

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
723 Posts
I have no idea how UK inspects for emissions compliance, but that is also something to consider. It can flat out be entirely prohibitive/waste of time (depending on your goals/budget) to turbo your car depending on how emissions testing is done, especially if you plan on keeping it a road going car.

Knowing your car is the EP2, here in the US, most states would use the OBD2 system on the vehicle (1996 and newer vehicles) to determine fault codes and emission monitor status. If the check engine light is on, and/or more than 2 emission monitors aren't ready, then the car will not pass inspection, and you cannot get your yearly renewal sticker without fixing the problem.

If UK does this, then utilizing common Honda D series methods of tuning and ecu modifications will basically remove OBD2 functionality. If you bring your car to an inspection station and they hook up expecting on board data from the 16 pin DLC, there will be none, which can present a problem if this is required.

If the UK does direct tailpipe testing, then it is definitely possible to turbo your car and use a catalytic converter, and get it professionally tuned. For the purpose of emissions testing, the tuner may just turn boost way down and enable closed loop fuel control at all times, this will get you to pass inspection if your cat is good, if of course tailpipe testing is your system :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes in the UK tailpipe testing is allowed so no issues with that but id still want a quiet exhaust sound not too loud

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Skip turbo for now, focus on a tuning solution. Once you get that running well and smoothly, then focus on finding a GT15 based turbo. Boost for days while still able to hit 200hp quite easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Skip turbo for now, focus on a tuning solution. Once you get that running well and smoothly, then focus on finding a GT15 based turbo. Boost for days while still able to hit 200hp quite easily.
Thanks mate
Any other turbo recommendations or is that the best to go for with stock internals.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Stock internals are only as strong as the tune, this is why I mention focusing on getting it tuned, even with just stock parts first.

As for turbos, I think you could honestly use any turbo that is in a factory car rated under 200hp.

This would give you the benefit of easy to find gaskets and hardware (nuts, bolts, fittings), some measure of service life, and an opportunity to find a replacement turbo fast, should something foolish happen.

I rather like the small K03 and K04 turbos on VW and Audi cars, but they sometimes get a bad rap for being poor quality turbos. I have no firm opinion on them, but power wise they would be right up your alley.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock internals are only as strong as the tune, this is why I mention focusing on getting it tuned, even with just stock parts first.

As for turbos, I think you could honestly use any turbo that is in a factory car rated under 200hp.

This would give you the benefit of easy to find gaskets and hardware (nuts, bolts, fittings), some measure of service life, and an opportunity to find a replacement turbo fast, should something foolish happen.

I rather like the small K03 and K04 turbos on VW and Audi cars, but they sometimes get a bad rap for being poor quality turbos. I have no firm opinion on them, but power wise they would be right up your alley.
Yeah I'll have a look for a good tuner and ECU And for the k03/4 turbos they don't fit on the manifold I plan to buy that fits the D16V1. And have to experience in welding something like that.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts

K03 on a D15 was my plan for MPG

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,433 Posts
whatever is available cheap free..I'm not picky I would even use a k03/4 if I had to..

always found the turbine outlet to be too small
they are like golf ball sized ..
I guess boost at idle could be fun..
Your were looking for power/HP, I was looking for TQ/MPG

Sized for a 2.0L build, but on a 1.5L motor you can get both in a balance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts