Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 SI 4dr
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,i have done so much reading on catch can setups till my head hurts..I have to -10 fittings welded in valve cover and lines running to Allstar baffled catch can with breather element.My machine shop set the piston to wall clearance a lil loose with the 75.5 vitaras.i know im gonna have some excessive blow by. I dont have the drain hooked up from catch can to back of block where black box goes..So under 15 to 18 psi I got oil blowing out of filter on catch can..guys i would really appreciate some advise on oil blowing issue..thanks

·
Premium Member
2015 SI 4dr
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im gonna try to mount the catch can a lil higher and see if that helps..I blocked off the black box with a fitting from B&R fittings.If this doesn't help I will try other route

·
Premium Member
2015 SI 4dr
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy from B&R said if your venting the valve cover that you could remove black box and install this plug he sells with a with a -10 machined in it.He said said you can run the return from catch can to the plug or cap it off.So thats what I did.I seen some of the oil in the catch can was nasty looking and was skeptical about returning that crap to my new motor..any help wouldbe great.thx

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Just plug the drain on your catch can, then hit up greg at go-autoworks and order your drain line, and the fitting that bolts to the black box location.

·
Premium Member
2015 SI 4dr
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the fitting in where the black box goes and it has a -10 nipple made to plug..he told me that if i didn't want to drain back into oil pan just cap off -10 nipple..So i capped it off but its blowing way to much oil..my baffled Allstar catch can is mounted behind passenger headlight where factory air box air inlet hole is..Do yall think its not mounted high enough?

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
So you have a line running from your valve cover to the catch can. Clarify, because your last post is REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to understand, (maybe thats the monster and vodka talking though...)

1) Your catch can does or does not have a drain on the bottom?
2) Your catch can is leaking from the bottom under boost?
3) You have a male AN fitting on the back of your block, that is capped off and leaking?
4) You are leaking oil from the fitting on the back of the block under boost/driving?
5) is the catchcan mounted above, equal to, or below the valve cover?

·
Registered
685 Posts
i would recommending venting from the blackbox area as well... at 17/18 psi your bottom end is setting a lot of pressure, so having a vent toe come out of down there + the vent from up top would help out a little bit more.

i too was skeptical bout having that "junk" from the catch can to return to the engine, but people on here reassured me that it is all safe...

when i changed my oil (1000 miles between) there was no oil pressure in my oil.

·
Premium Member
2015 SI 4dr
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok,sorry guys i just got home from work (12hr shifts)..lol...Alright I have( 2) -10 AN fittings welded in the valve cover and (2) -10an lines running to vented catch can and it is mounted behind passenger headlight.The catch can has pitcock drain in the bottom..The plug i ordered from B&R goes into hole on back of block where black box is normally mounted and has a -10 nipple on it that will accept a drain if decided to drain from catch can back to block..Brain from B&R said if I didnt want to return oil from catch can to block,just cap it off..Guys have i been told wrong and venting from the valve cover isn't sufficent enough? Do i need to vent the back of block also?..thx again

·
Registered
92 Civic Hatch
1,757 Posts
Ok,sorry guys i just got home from work (12hr shifts)..lol...Alright I have( 2) -10 AN fittings welded in the valve cover and (2) -10an lines running to vented catch can and it is mounted behind passenger headlight.The catch can has pitcock drain in the bottom..The plug i ordered from B&R goes into hole on back of block where black box is normally mounted and has a -10 nipple on it that will accept a drain if decided to drain from catch can back to block..Brain from B&R said if I didnt want to return oil from catch can to block,just cap it off..Guys have i been told wrong and venting from the valve cover isn't sufficent enough? Do i need to vent the back of block also?..thx again
Ok, if you arent going to run a return line, get a fitting to go in the black box location that isnt designed to accept a dran line. I would just buy a drain line and run it to the fitting you have now though. and you are correct the pressure is too great for the cap you have on that fitting now, and that is why its leaking. (that or whatever you have capping it off isnt sealing well enough.

Can I run 2 of the -8 an from valve cover to catch can?

Op didn't mean to thread jack!
Yes you did! dont lie. search, and use common sense.........................:asshole:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Run a line from the black box to the top of the catch can. Oil will not drain back into the block from the catch can this way. I have one line from the valve cover and one from the black box to the top of my catch can and have no problems. What is your PW clearance? Mine is .003 and I have almost no blow by. I only emptied the catch can once during the race season and it was fairly empty. Is the top of the catch can vented?

Edit. I see the can is vented with a breather.

·
Premium Member
2015 SI 4dr
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Guys, I found the problem with oil and excessive blow-by..possible cracked ringland or ring problem..i will update with some pics when i tear it down..thx for all the help

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Hey Guys, I found the problem with oil and excessive blow-by..possible cracked ringland or ring problem..i will update with some pics when i tear it down..thx for all the help
U do know the possible cause was because u capped off the black box plug. That guy lied to u or missed info u.
Never cap that fitting its vents the blowby.
The vavle cover just gets flesh air in.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
you realize by capping the back of the block fitting(black box) completely off you just stopped yourself from venting the block.....if you cracked a ringland thats probably why

personally i run the two vc breathers to my catchcan and well my hose comming off the block fitting may just be kinda hanging there :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts