Honda D Series Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Is that a plastic or painted intake manifold? Its looks like it had mpfi. It also looks like a vtec head becosue the spark plugs are in the front.

·
sub-sponsor
93 civic
5,175 Posts
DontSaveHer said:
Is that a plastic or painted intake manifold? Its looks like it had mpfi. It also looks like a vtec head becosue the spark plugs are in the front.
dont see a vtec sionoied

·
Registered
314 Posts
D16B2, I dont believe this engine was used in JDM and USDM Civics, I may be wrong on that, but Rover used the D16B2 in Europe up until 1998 I believe, they may still use it, anyways, its a 118HP motor, not too common to the states, where did it come from?

·
Registered
91 CRX Si
4,454 Posts
Heh, I want one...I like the black IM.

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, I didn't have time to type anything. I saw this motor at my favorite engine importer when I went with a friend to pick up his d15b and trans. Here's my explanation, which could be way off, I'm no pro at this newer stuff...

It's obviously a 96-00 civic motor, due to the dipstick on the side coming from the oil pump housing. What's weird is that it had a dipstick hole cut into the exhaust manifold heat-shield. It, indeed, has a plastic intake manifold. This is the reason I wanted it. It's in the shape of the y8 manifold, very cool from a performance porting standpoint. The distributor kind of let me know that it probably didn't come in a civic of any kind, because the plug is built in to the cap. The crank pulley/dampner is considerably heavier than the typical honda motor.

We get the d15b motors very cheap, but this bad boy was a whopping 650.00 because I think he saw my interest in the manifold. I just got too excited, because I finally saw one again. I've seen 2 from this importer out of the ~8 times I've been there. I've got pics of rows-upon-rows-upon-stacks of carbed ZC motors, and a few pics of about 8 d15b's in a row. They usually can't keep the b-series in stock, but we saw a few gsr's and b16's, a crap load of h22's, and didn't really even look for anything K. Lots of f20's as well. I love going there. I get to drool over stuff. If he would have offered us a price similar to the d15's, I was considering purchasing it.

He had explained to me how he could personally convert this motor to vtec, by drilling holes and tapping for the vtec solenoid, so I played along, and asked how. He said all it needs is the holes, and it's vtec.:rice:
ME--->:slap: <---HIM
no matter how ignorant a comment it was, I don't blame the guy. He has to remember everything about each motor in the warehouse. This is an unimaginable feat. I have a hard time keeping my hondas organized, but he has to deal with all the other motor manufacturers. anyway, here's a few more pictures of the trip...

-josh-

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmmm...

Forgot to mention, the code on the block has a numeral after the last letter D16B2. From my recollection, japanese motors have no numeral after the last letter. Therefore, I'm highly suspicious that they aren't only getting motors from japan...
-josh-

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was using the search engine when i came accross this thread. Sadly the pictures are gone. But the reason im writing is that i have a D16B2 in My car.
It´s a 1998 Civic Aerodeck made in the U.K. Intended for export it´s right hand drive. This engine is not common, every aerodeck i´ve seen in Iceland has a D15 with v-tec. The intake manifold is plastic and other than that there it doesn't seem to be special. The registartion says it´s 115,6 horsepower. Here´s a picture of my engine

For more info on my car check out this thread, part one of my project - Part two is coming soon.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38072&highlight=aerodeck

·
Registered
512 Posts
No, the GX is a gas motor. This one's plain ol' regular fuel. EDM-only, came in some Rovers too, very rare engine even in Europe. Block should be identical to a y7.

·
Registered
38 Posts
bump
i know its old but thread but i need some help. my coupe d16y7 engine has blow ...now i need a replacement motor ... i dont want the vtec series motor
which motor is equivalent to the d16y7 ???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.