Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Hondas. I just sold my Mazda Miata and bought a pretty mint 89 civic dx hatch, it has a D16b2. I have been noticing the possibility of interchanging OEM parts from different models to gain performance. What parts and from which honda/ acura models/ submodels will benefit my car? And if you know, how and why as well. ( like to know the technical side) Also any drawbacks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
it has a d15b2... and there is a ton of information on d-series parts here which are for the most part what you are looking at as far as performance. searching is a good thing to do before you post something like this. also www.honda-tech.com has a lot of info and hondaswap.com

·
D-Series Destruction Master
6,710 Posts
it has a d15b2... and there is a ton of information on d-series parts here which are for the most part what you are looking at as far as performance. searching is a good thing to do before you post something like this. also www.honda-tech.com has a lot of info and hondaswap.com
I wouldn't recommend hondatech for d-series related information, it can all be found here, with the SEARCH button.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Fuck HT! Last time I checked this is the only reliable D-Series source on the net! And to the thread starter, please use the search button, all the info you will need is on here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I meant d15. I tried the search button but got everything under the sun. Was hoping to just get a lump of info instead of sorting through crap for hours.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
Sorry I meant d15. I tried the search button but got everything under the sun. Was hoping to just get a lump of info instead of sorting through crap for hours.
What do you think everyone else has done hear?
You can't come on this site expecting to get spoon fed your information.
Help your'self first.:bong:

·
6,710 Posts
What do you think everyone else has done hear?
You can't come on this site expecting to get spoon fed your information.
Help your'self first.:bong:
At the same time...search is cluttered, it's difficult to weed through some stuff, I tried searching for some info, but got way too many results, and I was being as specific as possible...So, I hope the new people here can have better luck than I have had.

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
At the same time...search is cluttered, it's difficult to weed through some stuff, I tried searching for some info, but got way too many results, and I was being as specific as possible...So, I hope the new people here can have better luck than I have had.
Fair enough. There has been times I've had to go through a lot of pages to find an answer first......but I still did it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm very familiar with the search button. AND filtering through crap for hours. But instead of just saying well I had to so should you shouldn't we come up with a solution to make it easier for everyone? I guess Im just suprised theres not a interchange/ compatibility sticky... There was one on my miatas forum and it was really helpful, it had everything from engine to suspension even stereo and body and was setup in what i guess youd call graph form. I think I will start compiling info and try to get one stickied.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
And one last thing why does everyone assume that just because someones new or a noob, if you insist, that they are to dumb to use the search function? Search is obviously faulty and scattered. Plus I've been on dozens of forums from everything relating to the 6 cars I've owned and others owned by friends to forums for my sea doo and motorcycle. Search is not new to me or many other noobs contrary to the elders beliefs. Sorry for the rant but I just get so sick of someone seeing a rank and automatically assuming that this person must not have already search and wasted hours of there time sifting through hundreds of posts because the key word appeared once in someones sig or situations similiar. I guess Im saying cut us a break, you guys are amazing, knowledgable, and very informative. But do I have to be here for years before everyone (not just the ones who take pity) is friendly, get off there pedestal and quit being d!ck$.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
im new, yet to see any dicks, Its all on how you word things, and how much effort you have put in, its obvious you have not looked. If so, not hard at all. type in D15 mods or anything, just read other peoples post and it teaches you shit you dont have to ask, cause 8738782347737492 have already asked it,and its all still on the site. this site is PURE D SERIES. you can find anythign and everything on here. I found out why my CEL was on cuz i got lucky first post i read it said check the 2 pins ont he green vtec plug. sure enough, my black wire was broken off., and the blue/black was cracked. its easy, just look and read.

ps no harm...just reaaddd

·
6,710 Posts
Intake manifolds: pretty much all 88-2000 intake manifolds are compatible, pending you switching to MPFI if you've got a DX. (Look for any of these: 88-91 SI/EX, 92-95 SI/EX, and 96-98 EX - 99/2k EX has air injection or something and may not be compatible for your setup)

Cylinder heads: Any of the single cam heads work on your block. Your d15b2 head is the same as the SI head, only difference is the springs are not as terrific, and the cam is poopy on the 1.5

Cam shaft: In your existing head, d16a6, 88-91 SI, and use a 96+ d16y7/y8 cam gear. Or www.bisimoto.com

Header: Serious power = www.bisimoto.com, something a pinch better than stock = hit up ebay! lol. Quality product = something like DC sports.

Exhaust: 88-91 SI hatchback will work for you, or any aftermarket exhaust is fine.

Pistons: I like the p29's out of 88/89 integra's.

Transmission: Only use 88-91 (89-91 is best, 88's have a different spline count) Cable transmissions, SI or ZC recommended, or if you'd like, you can look around the transmission section for a hybrid setup. 92-2k civics use hydraulic clutch setups, so they wont work in your car without a conversion kit, which is not really worth the price.

Suspension/brakes: Since you're rollin' with a 4th gen, I'd recommend 90/91 civic EX knuckles/brakes up front with the EX 15/16th master cylinder. Si/DX brakes for your year DX are basically the same, the EX sedan has the "fatties". Other suspension stuff, there are sway bars from numerous civics/integras that fit, but I'm no expert on that, so I give no more advice for suspension. (I'm just now starting to learn suspension shit, been doing motors forever, time to learn more for me).

Hope this helps...There's shitloads of stuff that I missed, so others can fill in the blanks...there's tons of possibilities, tons of parts are interchangable when it's "D-Series".

·
Registered
6 Posts
if i'm right anything starting with a D as in D15 D16 D17 all are compatible and then theres the B-series every one out side this room will tell you there better like the B16A2 vtech or the B18C5 vtech are kick ass fast motors and cost about the same as d-series stuff so i have a 91 crx why should i get a D16Y8 and not a B18C5??????? D16Y8--127IshHp and a B18C5----220IshHp

·
Infamous Kanjozoku hatch
4,671 Posts
if i'm right anything starting with a D as in D15 D16 D17 all are compatible and then theres the B-series every one out side this room will tell you there better like the B16A2 vtech or the B18C5 vtech are kick ass fast motors and cost about the same as d-series stuff so i have a 91 crx why should i get a D16Y8 and not a B18C5??????? D16Y8--127IshHp and a B18C5----220IshHp
its not VTECH its VTEC!!!! do you even own a vtec??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts