Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi members. One of my friends bought a Honda fitted fit a D16A9 engine. He needed urgent transport and did not have a lot of money.

So he got the car and the next day he told me there is a problem.
I went to him today and there is a horrifying sound coming from inside the engine. Its an screeching knocking sound and the sound does not have a fixed pattern.

I have removed the tappet cover and saw small shavings underneath the cams where the oil lays in the head.

Removed a few cam caps and saw copper coloured shavings.

Am I right if I say its crank bearings that are worn past the white metal?

There was also copper and silver coloured shavings in the head, the oil goes from the oil pump to the filter and then to the crank and thus the shaving do not get filtered when going from the crank up through the cam caps?

I feel so bad for the guy. He did not even have a car for transport to hospital etc for his new born baby three days ago :(

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
No, that means the oil pump was not working and no oil got to the head, or oil shavings starved the head of oil when they were lodged in the restrictor block.

Did he start and run the engine without oil?

The engine is done, either way.

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil level is over full.
The cam caps are not seized, they and the cams look good.

Forgot to mention, the head gasket was blown and replaced(work looks dodgy) and the next day this problem occurred. I was told the oil was milky.

Will see if I get the job to rebuild the engine, but as you said its toast if shavings went through everywhere where only clean oil should be.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
That's the only way shavings will get there, unless it is something left over from the previous work.

This engine sounds like a bad deal. I'm betting that whomever replaced the headgasket previously didn't chase the threads and likely didn't clean the head thoroughly.

Pull the engine Out and apart.

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am I right if I say that the only parts inside the engine than can deliver a copper coloured shaving is crank bearings?
I can not think of any other component :biggrin:

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Started stripping the engine today and its rod Nr3 :(
Have not checked the rod or crank yet, I hope the crank is hard on a honda D??
At least the crank is not blue.

·
Registered
1995 Honda Civic Ex
361 Posts
Ouch, I know it's a bit awkward to do but a "long" test drive is vital before making a purchase. At least getting the vehicle up to full operating temperature and try to make sure there's no "Engine Honey" or "Lucas Oil" in there to hide a known failure. Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Removed and stripped the engine today. The bearing on rod 3 spun badly but there is no discolouring :-?
Did not measure the crank but its bad. The rod bent badly(damaged the block:eek:) and I can not find a rod anywhere.
So at the moment I am looking for a good priced import engine.
And it also looks like there is a line bore problem on the block. Mains are also damaged.

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And now I can not find a replacement engine :(
Will a D15B non vtec work if I use the D16A9 intake manifold?

·
Registered
1997 Honda Ballade
580 Posts
And now I can not find a replacement engine :(
Will a D15B non vtec work if I use the D16A9 intake manifold?
A9 intake wont fit on the D15B. Exhaust manifolds will fit put ports dont match. And thats going to overfuel without tuning.

D15B and D16 SOHC rods will fit. (not D15 non vtec rods)

D16 sohc crank will fit too.

·
Registered
Toyota AE82
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks bud! Tell me what is the device on the exhaust cam next to the distributor on the ZC?
The A9 only has a rubber plug there.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Thanks bud! Tell me what is the device on the exhaust cam next to the distributor on the ZC?
The A9 only has a rubber plug there.

That is a cam position sensor or CPS. IT is only needed on OBD0 DOHC d-series not needed on OBD1. on the OBD1 it's located inside the distributor. Assuming you are running OBD1 just leave the sensor in the head and un plugged. If you want to take it out you need to also take the Valve cover off and the first cam cap to remove and the install the little rubber plug.

couple things when swapping OBD0 motors into OBD1 chassis.

Map sensor on OBD1 motors are located on the throttle body, on OBD0 they are on the firewall. You'll need to swap the full intake manifold to the OBD1. You'll also want to ensure you use the OBD1 injectors too.

Also on the OBD0 blocks the fan temp switch is located on the back of the block, on the OBD1 they are located on the t-stat housing. Simply swap the t-stat housing. (After I typed this....this might be single cams only...I'm not sure. But something you should just double check!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts