Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK heres what i am doing. I put a d16a8 in a 94 obd1 civic coupe. I changed the zc injectors to obd1. I chipped the obd1 ecu to a p29 and rewired the plug on the distributer.

Now this is the the problem i keep getting code 4 and the car is in safety mode. I replaced the distributer already. Oh yeah i switched the wires on the tps. What am i missing. I have been on this project for 5 months now and i am lost. I have seen people talk about rewiring the ecu do i have to if it is a obd1?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i did that last night. Even bought a new timing gun. It is on top dead center. I am just at a loss. Some one told me that i needed to change the distributer so i did and still have the code. Bought a new ecm and still. Do i need to depin or rewire a the ecm?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess i could try that. I have tried everything i know other than using tin foil on my head to block out the alien signals. The ecm was chipped to be a p29. The car starts and everything runs fine i just cant get out of safety mode.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You say you "rewired the plug on the dizzy". What dizzy are you running? Is it the OBD0 one that came with the motor? You need to run an OBD1 dizzy with an OBD1 ECU.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok i am running a obd1 dizzy with a chipped obd1 p29. What is happening now is when i plug in the sensor on the exh. cam the car throws no codes. when i disconnect it it throws a code 4 and starts. The car seems to be vary rich.
First start car will not rev and dies, idols great.
second start car idols a little rough and car is choppy but will red line quick when it is warmed up. If the motor stalls it repeats like the first start. This motor is giving me a head ake. Anybody live in the fl area want to make some money ( daytona, Orlando )

·
Registered
968 Posts
i guess i am kind of lost here - did you use the engine wiring harness from the 94 on the A8 engine? - if so, you shouldn't have needed to rewire the distributor - should have plugged right in - you said when you plug in the Cylinder Sensor you get no codes - how do you still have a connector for the Cylinder Sensor? and, where is it wired to? what distributor do you have?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Today 02:54 PM
jlicrx i guess i am kind of lost here - did you use the engine wiring harness from the 94 on the A8 engine? - if so, you shouldn't have needed to rewire the distributor - should have plugged right in - you said when you plug in the Cylinder Sensor you get no codes - how do you still have a connector for the Cylinder Sensor? and, where is it wired to? what distributor do you have?

I did use the stock wiring harness that is in my 1994
ok here goes, motor is a D16a8 DOHC obdo the distributor that came on the motor is a td-03u obdo in order to make it plug in the 94 dx wire harness it needed to be de pinned and put into the new dizzy so it would plug into the stock harness on the 94.
The stock dizzy for the distributer on a 94 has 7 wires. The distributer on the a8 has 5 wires. To make the connection i de pinned the cylinder sensor and plugged it in the stock dizzy that came on the 94. De pinned the td03u and plugged them in the stock dizzy that was on the 94 to make a total of 7 wires. checked the connection at the ecu as well as the location and color to make sure. When cylinder sensor is plugged in the car will not start ( no codes) when i unplug it the car starts and gives a code ( 4 ) but it runs like shit. Very rich. I did change the cylinder sensor around to see if that would help but it didnt ( white and orange wires )

Somebody said that i ad to re-chip the ecu so i did with a p29 chip. When i convert back to stock. Remove chip, cut jumper the car will not run. I have checked the timing and even checked the belt to make sure it is the right one. I am at a loss i don't know what is going on with this thing.

·
Registered
968 Posts
your problem is that the TD03U distributor is OBD0 and is not compatible with the OBD1 ECU - actually, i am surprised that it runs at all - the correct OBD1 distributor for the DOHC ZC is a TD43U - i have heard of people using a TD61U from a 92-95 Prelude - i can't verify that it will bolt up

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that true? and will a TD43U -or aTD61U bolt straight on now remember that i have a D16a8. The reason i never changed it was because the td03u came on it. Plus i thought that the stock ecu obd1 chipped to a p29 would take care of any problems.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Is that true? and will a TD43U -or aTD61U bolt straight on now remember that i have a D16a8. The reason i never changed it was because the td03u came on it. Plus i thought that the stock ecu obd1 chipped to a p29 would take care of any problems.
the problem is the OBD0 and OBD1 distributors send a different signal from the Crank Sensor to the ECU, which is what is causing the problem - the OBD1 ECU can't read the signals from the OBD0 distributor - most of the time they won't even run - the TD43U will bolt right on, but it is the JDM DOHC ZC distributor and unless you get a new one from Distributor King, it will be hard to find - as i said, i have never tried the TD61U to see if it bolts on but have had people say they were using it - also had one guy who said he was using the TD60U which is the JDM H22 distributor - i don't know if they bolted right on or if they had to slot the holes? never asked - the TD03U is the distributor used on the JDM OBD0 DOHC ZC, 88-89 USDM Integra and the D16A8, D16A9 and D16Z5 - chipping the ECU probably just changed the fuel and timing maps, and maybe changed the rev limit, although i doubt that

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just checked on the cost of a td43u ouch but if it fixes the problem so be it. Hey i want to say thank you big time. I wont forget it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok got my new td43u bolted and checked the wires to make sure they match. I made sure the timming is set and now the car wont start at all. I going crazy. The td43u has two of the three bolts that line up but not the third. I have spark and fuel the fuel pressure is their. It cranks but does not turn over. Timming is red mark= tdc the two cams are in the up position what am i missing? Spun the crank to make sure that it was right and it is. I think it has to be timing any body have a picture of what the cams on this d16a8 should look like?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts