Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys had a question. anyone know why a 1988 d16a6 would be rated at 105hp and a 89-91 rated at 108hp. i have a 91 civic but i just bought a engine and on the head the casting reads PM3-13 8/8. wouldnt that be a 1988 code. is there any difference in head design? thanks
Jon

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
don't know for sure think it has something to do with the cam, ecu, or both. i think it was more the ecu.

·
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh ok ya i got the 91 ecu and i have a zc cam laying around here so ill just stick that one in there. cool thank you very much

·
Formerly weebeastie
904 Posts
Question for you Bones regarding keyway

the cam, 1988 Si used D15 indexing for the key way
Don't mean to thread jump, but......So, if you put an 88 Si cam in a d15 would you need the y7 cam gear or the original 88 cam gear or a b1/b2 cam gear? Just wondering.

Also your 88/89 Si has a different ECU that is nonchippable compared to the 90 and 91 versions.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yep, but not much of a differance. Use it if you have it, but I woulden't spend money on one.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
no..the zc cam wouldn't make much of a difference over the si cam,
replacing the dx cam with the si cam makes the little difference..
if you have the 88 si cam...(not real familar with)

& its rated at a lower HP..like most said above its probably the ecu at a higher rev limit &/or the cam with a higher lift duration

the 88-89 pm6 ecus are also chippable but is also known to be hard to chip...
its somthing to look into if you plan on using it.
but its easier to just get a 90-91 pm6 ecu to chip..

·
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well tonight i was going over some of the parts i bought. on the head the studs that the exhaust manifold bolts onto. one of them have been broken complete off and you can see the threads into the head. and another the threading was broken half way. now can a shop put in new ones for me? because i saw on a oem honda parts that you can buy the studs themselves.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts