Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I built this engine has p28 automatic ecu "I know, it was the only one I could get at the time" eagle rods, je dome pistons 250psi on compresion test. I adjusted all my valves and double checked them. I replaced rotor cap and dizzy cap, sparkplugs, sparkplug wirez, timing is dead on. when I pull out from 1000 to 3500 rpms the car stumbles and if I punch it to the floor the car takes off like a bat outa hell. the only code its throwing is the lockout for auto tranny.

Oh and I am running a d16y7 dizzy

Any Idea's??? I am stumped

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
i'm 99.9% sure the y7 and y8 dizzy are the same.

are you running the stock p28 maps or is it chipped? it sounds like your ignition timing is off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No the ecu is stock. and the timing is dead on with the timing light.

also from idle you can stomp the gas pedel and the engine will studder till about 3000 3500 rpms

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
ugh....you're running stock p28 maps with a y8 head. the timing maps for the p28 are NOT the same as they are on the p2p (the one made for a y8 ) and y8's HATE when you mess with their timing maps. this is the second time i've seen someone doing this in the last half hour. if i'm wrong someone please jump in and correct me, but it seems obvious that you're running timing maps that aren't right for your head and that's where the problems are coming from.

either chip the p28 or stick the p2p back in. good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ugh....you're running stock p28 maps with a y8 head. the timing maps for the p28 are NOT the same as they are on the p2p (the one made for a y8 ) and y8's HATE when you mess with their timing maps. this is the second time i've seen someone doing this in the last half hour. if i'm wrong someone please jump in and correct me, but it seems obvious that you're running timing maps that aren't right for your head and that's where the problems are coming from.

either chip the p28 or stick the p2p back in. good luck.
That sounds reasonable.. cant really put the p2p in cause its in a obd1 hatch. what would be cheaper or beter in the long run. chiping the p28 or changing to a z6 head?

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
personally, i'm a HUGE fan of running the correct head for your block. i would only run a y8 head on a y8 or y7 block. but chipping the ecu will give you a much wider range of options in the future and it will allow you to fix this problem as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
personally, i'm a HUGE fan of running the correct head for your block. i would only run a y8 head on a y8 or y7 block. but chipping the ecu will give you a much wider range of options in the future and it will allow you to fix this problem as well.
haha well....... This is a d16a6 block

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
if i'm not mistaken, the z6 and a6 timing maps are the same, or at least very close. i know the base timing is the same on them (16.5* btdc) and with the y8 the base timing is 4.5 degrees off (12* btdc) so that's where your low end problems are coming from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if i'm not mistaken, the z6 and a6 timing maps are the same, or at least very close. i know the base timing is the same on them (16.5* btdc) and with the y8 the base timing is 4.5 degrees off (12* btdc) so that's where your low end problems are coming from.
So basicly Im screwed with the y8 head and dizzy

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
no, you can chip the ecu and take 4.5 degrees away from the map then it should run better. i'm running a z6 map myself with a y8 head and thats what i did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no, you can chip the ecu and take 4.5 degrees away from the map then it should run better. i'm running a z6 map myself with a y8 head and thats what i did.
how would I do this? what chip do I order and how would I program it.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
that i couldn't tell you. i went with hondata.

s300 + phearable.net hondata-ready p28 FTW :D

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
true, but a head and dizzy won't give you complete control over every aspect of tuning your engine along with datalogging, launch control, etc, etc, etc ;)

it all depends on what your plans are down the road. if you just want a n/a daily driver then get a new head and dizzy. if you plan to turbo, then start saving up for an s300.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
true, but a head and dizzy won't give you complete control over every aspect of tuning your engine along with datalogging, launch control, etc, etc, etc ;)

it all depends on what your plans are down the road. if you just want a n/a daily driver then get a new head and dizzy. if you plan to turbo, then start saving up for an s300.
I dont have to save up and deff not turbo lol blow the head off the block lol just need a easy on gas daily with some power but more or less just need to get it running lol

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Problem SOLVED

Ok I was useing obd2 injectors with a obd1 wire harness... so I decided to look at my obd2 harness and the ground wire on each injector was on the driver side and on the obd1 harness the ground wire was on the passenger side. I wired in my obd2 plugs and now the engine runs great! Thanks for the help d-series.org! :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts