Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently putting together a D16A6 with a Y8 head and y8 manifold with lots of extras. I need some built info for you "honda gods" out there..

Have the D16A6 block sitting on my engine stand about to put the head on. I have a Y8 head gasket, Y8 Intake manifold gasket and a Y8 Valve cover gasket. This guy said i should use silicone when putting on the head gasket and valve cover gasket.. is this true? SILICONE or NOT?

Do I need to reset my valves on my Y8 head? I did not remove the cam or cam gear.. but If i need to do this.. how do i do it? DETAILS PLEASE..

Setting the pistons before I put the head on.. Where shold they be at? Specific details please..

I need the correct steps on putting the timing belt on. should i put the belt on while im putting the crank pulley on? should i bolt the head on and then bolt the crank pulley on with the timing belt? I need to know the correct step on how to do this so i dont mess anything up.

Thanks for all your help guys.

·
Registered
2001 Z3 Coupe 3.0i
913 Posts
Put RTV (silicone) onto the corners where the camshaft "humps" are for the valve cover gasket to help it seal. Its even in the factory service manual.

It does NOT mention doing this for the head gasket...and I think it will not allow the head to sit perfectly level if you add silicone.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Hailer said:
I am currently putting together a D16A6 with a Y8 head and y8 manifold with lots of extras. I need some built info for you "honda gods" out there..

Have the D16A6 block sitting on my engine stand about to put the head on. I have a Y8 head gasket, Y8 Intake manifold gasket and a Y8 Valve cover gasket. This guy said i should use silicone when putting on the head gasket and valve cover gasket.. is this true? SILICONE or NOT?

Do I need to reset my valves on my Y8 head? I did not remove the cam or cam gear.. but If i need to do this.. how do i do it? DETAILS PLEASE..

Setting the pistons before I put the head on.. Where shold they be at? Specific details please..

I need the correct steps on putting the timing belt on. should i put the belt on while im putting the crank pulley on? should i bolt the head on and then bolt the crank pulley on with the timing belt? I need to know the correct step on how to do this so i dont mess anything up.

Thanks for all your help guys.
As far as silicone on gasket no! If you want use copper spray gasket, nothing else.
You dont need to adjust valvetrain unless it is out of oem spec.. .007 intake .009 exhaust..
You dont need to do anything w/ pistons but make sure there @ top dead center when applying "Y8" timing belt.
Bolt and torque head down, then put timing belt on one all things are aligned, then you can put crank pulley on.. It dont really matter.. You should go pick up chiltons to better help you out on visual..

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where can i find one of those? discount?autozone?pet boys? thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Hailer said:
where can i find one of those? discount?autozone?pet boys? thanks for your help!
You have to be more specific..????????????????????????????

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry.. you said: You should go pick up chiltons to better help you out on visual..

where cani get a chiltons?

·
Registered
265 Posts
most automotive stores.
any book store.
or order it online from amazon/ebay/etc.

The Helm manual is the one to have but a Chilton/Haynes also works and it's easier to get/cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts