Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 CRX si with the factory D16A6. I have recently been contemplating a D16Y8 intake/throttle body swap. My questions are what exactly will this entail to complete the swap successfully? Will the A6 electrical connectors work with the Y8 intake valves and sensors? Will the A6 throttle cable work without mods? Do I need to convert to OBD1? Will the A6 fuel injectors work with the Y8 manifold? If anything else needs addressing please post that as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
998 Posts
Leave it alone. If you must only change the intake manifold.
The A6 is highly capable in its stock form.

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have other mods in play and my understanding is that it is a common/recommended upgrade. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an 89 CRX si with the factory D16A6. I have recently been contemplating a D16Y8 intake/throttle body swap. My questions are what exactly will this entail to complete the swap successfully? Will the A6 electrical connectors work with the Y8 intake valves and sensors? Will the A6 throttle cable work without mods? Do I need to convert to OBD1? Will the A6 fuel injectors work with the Y8 manifold? If anything else needs addressing please post that as well. Thanks!
Z6 intake, not a Y8 intake.
Ok thanks! Will the Z6 require changes/mods as mentioned above?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Im not a fan of "being that guy" but do a bit of research.

While DSO likes to help people in all forms with all sorts of projects, having a bit of research ability is a HUGE swing over into the "successful projects" category.

I can help you out though. The d16z6 is in the "OBD1" category. your D16A6 is OBD0.

You could start off with looking up "OBD1 manifold on OBD0 car" honda civic, or something similar.

Why? because this type of search would include the d15b7 intake swap, as that is a very common "upgrade", and the manner of doing that would match the d16z6.

Its mostly since the d15b7 intake manifold is FAR easier to come across, which aids in getting that info out publicly.

·
Registered
89 CRX si
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Leave it alone. If you must only change the intake manifold.
The A6 is highly capable in its stock form.
The best advice from what I have learned so far. If I were to do a Z or Y mani swap I should swap the head as well and it's pointless without engaging the vtec. I will go for broke and do an entire B swap and make it count.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,748 Posts
Do the Z6 intake swap and the Y8 will lose torque in the mid-range for the minor gain in hp at the very top of the power band.

If class rules allow (NASA Racing) and you have the supporting/tested header and exhaust, Skunk 2 intake manifold is worth 8 whp over the peaky Y8 intake with losing any of the midrange of the Z6 intake, but will also need time on the dyno. Cue multi driver winning Civic/CRX using the same D16A6 that won in 2008 or 9 and hasn't been rebuilt since....it just keeps getting faster.

So for the money.....go with the Z6.

D15B7 and D16A6 share the same intake runner design, unlike the Z6 intake runners that have an ovel runner design/ There should be a 20 year old photo of mine floating around showing the visual difference, sitting on green "garage" carpet.

But...what does the transmission builder for the team know? NASA H4/PTE/TTE NASA wins for Myers Motorsports, Sam Myers is the car owner, crew chief, and engine builder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts