Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Hatch
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to D-series.org but not new to the honda scene. I just recently got my hands on a CRX DX for pretty much free, only thing wrong with it is the motor is blown. Did a little research and found out it had a d15. Well I decided that was pretty lame and had decided on swapping a B16 into it, but today I pulled the motor only to notice on the engine code was d16a6. According to wikipedia that motor came out of the SI so I know the motor has been swapped. My question is, is this motor worth building? Junkyard parts are minimal....ricers pick over the yards on a regular basis so finding an unmolested z6 or y8 aint happening. But I do know where there are a few A1's sitting for cheap. I was originally gonna swap one of those in and build, but then i found out it wont fit without some major mods. But i am curious if this motor would be worth building or possibly if the A1 head would swap onto the A6 block. Appreciate any info you can give me. And to all the flamers out there if its not helpful information :stfu: JK but seriously I dont need to know if this is a newb question..Iv never messed with civics before, was always an accord guy before i got this rex. Iv done some searching on the site, but havnt found out exactly what im looking for. Again i appreciate any info you guys can hook me up with.

Mike

·
Registered
766 Posts
The A1 will not bolt up to your existing transmission, nor will it drop in with your stock mounts. The head will fit, but it's more trouble than it's worth. Someone did it just so he could prove it could be done. What exactly is wrong with the A6 you have now? Blown is too general a term

·
Registered
97 Hatch
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i say blown, i think it broke the number 3 connecting rod. I havent dropped the pan to check yet, thats coming tommorow, but the #3 piston is sitting in a different position as its companion cylinder and is cocked sideways.

·
Registered
766 Posts
when i say blown, i think it broke the number 3 connecting rod. I havent dropped the pan to check yet, thats coming tommorow, but the #3 piston is sitting in a different position as its companion cylinder and is cocked sideways.
Sounds like a rod to me. I'd be more worried about what needs to be replaced in the bottom end over the head. Unless it's cracked, just replace whichever valves were bent and the head should be fine. Mine had a broken rod, and I had to find a new crank and girdle as well

·
Registered
90 CRX Mini-Me Turbo
464 Posts
hmmm ... there seems to be ALOT of conflicting information that i have read about the D16A1 / DOHC ZC. i just posted what i saw when i pulled the ZC outta my buddies car... EVERYTHING looked normal... even the Dizzy... no vacuum advance......

So i retract my previous Statement

Sorry,
Dr. Mike

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts

·
Registered
97 Hatch
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the engine is toast...completely shattered the #3 rod into bout 4 pieces and completely rocked the oil galley or whatever its called that rides underneath the crank. The cylinder walls are scuffed and scored beyond belief and the crank has a major gouge from the rod breaking. So Im looking into finding another A6, i know where i can pick up the head and pistons from an A1, but do you think used pistons would be up to snuff, or likely to fail? I'm kinda hestitant to use them but if enough of you guys think theyll hold I'd be willing to try em. Obviously would want to spec em out to be sure they're not egg shaped or worn too bad. Whats your opinion's though?

·
Registered
90 CRX Mini-Me Turbo
464 Posts
OK... now that we're at Square 1.....ask yourself ... "WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH"?

and how much are you willing to spend... "as little as possible" is not the right answer, so come up w/ a $ ammount

·
Registered
97 Hatch
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well just got through crunching some numbers and its lookin like i can build the ZC/A6 engine for around 600-650 before go fast goodies are thrown in. And thats using new P29 pistons as well since I'm wanting to stay N/A. I'm trying to find a good place to pick up cams for the A1 but so far only found WebCams. Any other places? Oh and for over all budget preferably under 1200 total.

·
Registered
90 CRX Mini-Me Turbo
464 Posts
ok... i'm really not trying to sound like a DICK right now, but it may come off like that.... so dont get defensive.

the only way you can put a DOHC (A1) head on a A6 Block is if you have a Tig Welder, and a Bridgeport Mill... read this.... http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47496&highlight=z6+intake+manifold&page=7

He used a A9 head, but the same applies for the A1

now, what i would do.... that is, if you wanted to stay all motor...
*find a SOHC shortblock at some junkyards (i kno their hard to find in your area) so pick and pull what you need.
*search out some PM9 (ZC pistons) new on Ebay their like $130 for 75.5 mm
* find a head that corosponds w/ the block you bought. (***DONT GO A6 block, w/ Z6 head, and PM9 pistons, cause that's like 13:1 C/R*** )
* Search for a Y8 Intake manifold and a B16 Throttle Body

***OR*** you could do some Real Research and see what it takes to put a D16A1 (88-89 integra) into a 88-91 EF

G/L
Dr. Mike

·
Registered
97 Hatch
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok first off I'm calling Bullshit on the TIG welder being required.....not once did he mention using a TIG welder..or any kind of welder..... Ok and do some "Real Research" into what it takes to put a D16A1 into a 2nd gen CRX? I have....its doable but requires more custom fab work than i feel like fuckin with so thats why I asked about just using the head in the first place.....

·
Registered
97 Hatch
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The oil return holes from the head line up fine, they are also unpressurised so even if they were out slightly there would be no adverse effect.
The oil feed is identical and there is more than enough room around the bolt to flow oil to the head.
The water feeds make no difference where they are as long as they are above the open deck water jacket which they are. because it is a ZC head and a ZC gasket the gasket holes line up with the head and open through into the water jacket.

Exact quote from the guy who built the motor....

·
Registered
97 Hatch
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i like how you edited that...after i proved you wrong.....DUMBASS......

·
Registered
90 CRX Si
3,866 Posts
Its not worth it unless you have you're own machine shop. A guy on here did it, can't remember his name, but it took a lot of work to get it right (not halfway like that HT thread) and reliable.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
yeah i like how you edited that...after i proved you wrong.....DUMBASS......
you didnt prove shit, quit acting like you pioneered the head swap :TD:

ever think there might be a reason only 2 people in the WORLD have ever done the headswap? hmmm.....:hammer:

·
Registered
97 Hatch
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did I once say I "Pioneered" this swap? I asked a question, got a reply with a link of the swap i wanted, read it decided i wanted to do it then dude shoots it down with retarded reasons, that the actual pioneer never encountered....

·
Registered
ef7 crx
322 Posts
Stop bitching you fags. :lol:

The short of it is, if you have access to a mill it's easy as and can be done in a day by a non-engineer with half a gram of practical sense.

If you dont have access to a mill then it's going to be a hard road convincing an engineer/machinist that your hair-brained scheme will work and explain to them exactly what needs to be done. And then you have to pay them.

If you have a mate with a machine shop go ahead and do it.
If you dont just stick with a sohc A6 head and save yourself the hassle.

Peace.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts