Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 CRX si
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions; Referring to a D16A6, should I remove the metal coolant tube/pipe connecting the water pump to the thermostat housing when sending the block to the machine shop? If so, do you cut the tube for removal and later splice with rubber hose?

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
376 Posts
It's not required I guess, but if you have the engine apart down to the block, might as well take everything apart and clean/refresh it all.

Unbolt the thermostat housing from the block, and use a pry bar/vice grips combined with a pry bar to pull the pipe from the water pump housing. As transzex said, once the bolts are out of the tstat housing, it's just an oring that holds the pipe in the block. You just need to pull it hard enough to get it to come out.

Same with the pipe going into the tstat housing, just an oring is what secures it.

·
Registered
89 EF 4wd sedan
541 Posts
Be prepared for it to be corroded badly on the wet side of the O rings. Removing it may turn it to dust in the process. I think you can still buy them new from Honda though when i was looking for a replacement for mine they had them available.

·
Registered
89 CRX si
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to all!!! What is the proper name for that tube just in case I ruin it and need to source another?

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
4,104 Posts

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
1,029 Posts
Be prepared for it to be corroded badly on the wet side of the O rings. Removing it may turn it to dust in the process. I think you can still buy them new from Honda though when i was looking for a replacement for mine they had them available.
I try not to even look at them wrong when tearing on shit up here !

been wanting to jimmy something out of stainless once and for all...

it's on sale too .
38.44 is 50.46 to a loon

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
376 Posts
Dorman offers the 96-00 pipe that slo eg8 posted from the Honda site, and Advance auto or napa usually carry it in stock. It should be available at all the major parts stores in any case.

Comparing the diagrams of the water pipe between the 91 civic SI (A6) and the 99 civic EX (Y8), is looks like they curve in roughly the same places, although it looks like the A6 curves a bit near the thermostat housing whereas the Y8 version is straight. The A6 does have one hose nipple in a spot where the Y8 does not, but a brass T fitting and some clamps and hose could allow you to T off of the one.

If your pipe really is badly corroded, then you may need to either source a used one if possible that's in decent condition or purchase the Y8 version and see if it will work and/or have it modified to fit.

Dorman OE part number for the Y8 pipe: 626-527

Link to Advance Auto Parts: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-oe-solutions-heater-hose-assembly-626-527/11356202-P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts