Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi everyone!
i am very new to this engine building process, so please bear with my very novice questions.

i basically have 1991 civic.

as far as i know after doing some research i have
a d16a6,
i recently installed a greddy turbo kit and i had to modify it to make it work but its on there and running,
emanage blue that came with the kit. it too is working just fine but needs a tune tho.
everything else is stock

TD04H-15G 8cm2
cast manifold w/e-manage

recently im not sure what i blew but its smoking alot when i rev it hard or go over 3.5k rpms.

so after talking to some very knowledgable people. i feel that it is time to just built it up and do it right.
as my personal preference i would really like to rev much higher then stock.
its just for the fun factor.

goal:
to make it very realiable but fun and max out what i currently have with my current turbo set up. im not going to drag it or try to beat any records. i just want to have fun beating on it once in a while.

i dont mind doing pistons, camshafts, rods, springs/retainers, oil pump, water pump, adjustbale cams, etc...

other then these i am not sure what else i need to get, the little stuff that most people kinda leave out and becomes a huge suprise when it comes up.

so just as i dont have time to redo all this again, i would rather just do the whole shabang at one time and do it right, and finally get it tuned.

if i ask the same question or sound ignorant please bear with me as i will not know what most things do. hence this is why i am here trying to learn.

thanks...

initial questions:
what do i need.
what does that part do.
where can i get that particular part for cheap.
is there name brands i should get or even stay away from.
is there a procedure that i need to do first, second, third, etc..

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
What color is the smoke, is it blue or white? It could be bad valve seals or rings or even a bad head gasket. As far as wanting to rev more, it won't do you any good with the 15g turbo. It pretty much maxes out before 7 grand.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
ryan, duck he call me today ask me some question about his built. he was afraid of being flame it cause hes done some research but his questions were not answers. so i ask him to get a hold of duck cause i'm more of a suspension and N/A person. so let me give you some info on what he told me.

first and for most he lives in SoCal so we need to kep in mind the emission laws and other bullshit there. so levi chime in at anytime on the cali laws.

he's seem very green to the turbo area. granted he has a greddy kit but to what we talked it wasn't tuned right, he conmplained about alot of lag. now while keeping cali law in mind. he's very unsure what to get. especialy i gave him a ball park price in what duck kind a spend. lol. so if i'm wrong the budget we spoke was along $1,000-1,500 max(mostly making sure the bottom end is built, then tune.

he's very happy in what power he has. *cough* till he wants more power*cough* lol.

he's not sure if he spun a bearing and he did tell me his block kind a knocks. so if he migh some question but it's cause he really want to do it it right other that build someone eles dream build. most of all he wants realiablity.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What color is the smoke, is it blue or white? It could be bad valve seals or rings or even a bad head gasket. As far as wanting to rev more, it won't do you any good with the 15g turbo. It pretty much maxes out before 7 grand.
its white smoke. its comming from the engine when hitting it hard. or even anything above 3k rpm.

it will fill the cabin with smoke. it seems like it flows into the cabin right through the dash. mostly from the driver side.
it has a distinct smell of oil burning.
the engine also rocks alot more now. the car shakes a lot.

the lag is can be described by saying, if i gas it slowly from a light or a complete stop it will climb slowly then seem to lag out about 2.5k rpm to 3.5k or inbetween there. it doesnt do it when im in the high rpm's.
sometimes it just feels like there isnt enough gas. or not enough air.
other forums i have been told it could be these,
clogged fuel line. just replace fuel filter.
distributor cap and rotor might be old so it needs to be replaced.
fuel pump is on its way out.
today i talked to a very knowledgable guy,
he said the timing needs to be adjusted.
now that sounds pretty good cause it started to do this more often when i turbo'd the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ryan, duck he call me today ask me some question about his built. he was afraid of being flame it cause hes done some research but his questions were not answers. so i ask him to get a hold of duck cause i'm more of a suspension and N/A person. so let me give you some info on what he told me.

first and for most he lives in SoCal so we need to kep in mind the emission laws and other bullshit there. so levi chime in at anytime on the cali laws.

he's seem very green to the turbo area. granted he has a greddy kit but to what we talked it wasn't tuned right, he conmplained about alot of lag. now while keeping cali law in mind. he's very unsure what to get. especialy i gave him a ball park price in what duck kind a spend. lol. so if i'm wrong the budget we spoke was along $1,000-1,500 max(mostly making sure the bottom end is built, then tune.

he's very happy in what power he has. *cough* till he wants more power*cough* lol.

he's not sure if he spun a bearing and he did tell me his block kind a knocks. so if he migh some question but it's cause he really want to do it it right other that build someone eles dream build. most of all he wants realiablity.

thanks bro for talking to me.
as for my budget im ok with staying low in the price range.
ill just go with what ever is needed so if the price takes me into the high 1k or low 2k's ill just have to go there but prefered to stay low if i can.

·
Registered
89 hatch
1,771 Posts
i just had the same problem with the smoke...it also came into the cabin and made the car smell(still smells, needs a deep cleaning). my problem was the rings. technically, there is no "smog" legal turbo kit for our cars(assuming you have an 88-91 hatch/crx). i think the only smog legal f/i for the a6 is the jrsc. ditch the greddy box and go turboedit or convert to obd1 and run crome.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
ditch the greddy box and go turboedit or convert to obd1 and run crome.
i kinda told him the same but he's happy with his power, but i did tell him he needed to convert to ODB1.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the advice on the turbo kit but my main issue isnt the turbo. i spent a lot of money already on the turbo kit and i spent another load of cash on the install. some more monies on the wiring harness to get the emanage to hook up to the ecu. so i just wanted to stay on track with this help thread. to learn how to built up the engine itself. where to get the proper parts without getting ripped off. and what i need and what i dont.

i need to just get the engine built right to handle any future mods and this current one.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
for starts like i told you and ryan did. you need to crack that block open first. see if you have a spun bearing and see how your walls are. if they're pitted then you need to bore it .020"(75.50mm) over. now if you have a spun bearinging there several way you can attack this. but you the only person that can tell you that is a machine shop.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Sounds like blown ringlands. Makes sense, more smoke at higher rpm/boost.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok ill open up the engine once i find a cherry picker.

also how much driving can i still do. this is my only ride right now and i need to still get around.

how much more damage am i doing to it if i just put put around.

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
ok ill open up the engine once i find a cherry picker.

also how much driving can i still do. this is my only ride right now and i need to still get around.

how much more damage am i doing to it if i just put put around.
does having a 2200lbs paper weight gives you any idea? then needing to get a new block.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ic.
i know i want to replace all the normal wear and tear items too.
so where do you recommend to pick up some of those items before i have a chance to open the engine.

the items i know of, if you can think of anything else just let me know.

oil pump
water pump
tensioner
timing belt
other belts such as fan, accessories, ps.
(cant think of anything else)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts