Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5spd EF Civic Si
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Just last Wednesday (12/7) I picked up a 1991 Civic Si! 5spd, no power steering, and I love it a ton.

Currently trying to sell my other car, but for now I am trying to research turboing the D16A6 and I just have a few questions. I've been doing some research and there really arent a lot of threads going through turboing these little non-VTEC 4 bangers. Just looking into doing a cheaper turbo build for a little bit more power and an enjoyable install experience.

Sadly, I can't post a link to the kit. For reference, if you look it up on Ebay, the title is "Honda Civic Complete Turbo Kits D Series EX/Si 1.6L SOHC VTEC I-4 125HP D16Z6"

Yes, I know its a shitty ebay kit, but if I can get it to work and enjoy the learning experience of installing it, I will be very happy.

Here are the questions:

First, what would I need to install a Hondata and electronic boost controller? I have the stock PM6 OBD0 ecu right now, and I am looking into installing a OBD1 ECU with a Hondata and an electronic boost controller and want to know what I would need to install it and have it work correctly.

Second, where would I need to install the feed line? I know for the drain line I am going to have to drill a hole into the oil pan, but I am not 100% sure on where to run the feed line.

Third
, what else would you guys recommend for parts in addition to the kit? Maybe things like intake, injectors, etc. The goal is for an enjoyable turbo daily, and to have some fun runs in "Mexico" with some of my friends, so nothing too crazy like engine swaps. The D16 stays!

Only aftermarket parts the car has is a random offbrand strut brace in the engine bay, a catback exhaust (not sure of brand), and a short throw shifter. Car is relatively stock otherwise.

If you guys have any questions leave them here!

Thank you!

·
Registered
92dx-turbo 92cx-pimp
89 Posts
1. you'll have to convert to obd1 for the best effect of hondata s300, s200 is outdated.

2. one of 2 options for a feed line. get a line kit and tap into the oil pressure unit behind the block with a T, tighten it too hard and you'll crack your block and or risk doing so from vibrations. the other option is buying a oil filter adapter/sandwitch plate with taps in it to run your feed, and or oil pressure temp sensor if you ever wanna run one also.

3. id recommmend, arp headstuds. a d16z6 swap for reliability. a non-ebay turbo kit. and for you to do more research across the site, you'll save yourself time and money spent reading others threads attempting the same thing or have done what you plan on doing.

goodluck

·
Banned
5spd EF Civic Si
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would a sandwich adapter be the best/easiest for running a line and an oil pressure sensor? And, are the oil pans aluminum or steel?

·
B-series Destroyer
4g 4d civic
913 Posts
Is it a nice clean civic? If so, drive it to Duluth so I can buy it from you.

·
Banned
5spd EF Civic Si
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it a nice clean civic? If so, drive it to Duluth so I can buy it from you.
Lol nah, I just got it and it's a really nice clean shell. Love the thing, even had a Markquart tech tell me that it used to be someone who worked with hims car! Said hes put a lot of elbow grease into it and that I better love it, and I do.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
oil filter sandwich adapter will be best for feeding the turbo, getting a sensor location, and running an oil cooler (if you want to drive it long periods of time)

convert to OBD1 and run it stock with a d15b7 or d16z6 intake manifold for while with a P06 ecu

then get it chipped and stick a hondata board in it, and hook up a wideband.

I would avoid doing everything at once. stages! stages!

converting to obd1 gives you better power and gas mileage, and can be a bear on its own.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
also realize the ebay turbo kits DO HAVE PROBLEMS.

research a bit to find those.

One of the often forgotten ones is the shitty wastegate location on the manifold. it can cause random boost spikes, turbo chatter from its random spikes and surges, and generally should be avoided.

you can find cheap ebay cast log manifolds that move the wastegate flange to a central location, but generally this will force you to cut and reweld the dowpipe to fit again.

·
Banned
5spd EF Civic Si
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also realize the ebay turbo kits DO HAVE PROBLEMS.

research a bit to find those.

One of the often forgotten ones is the shitty wastegate location on the manifold. it can cause random boost spikes, turbo chatter from its random spikes and surges, and generally should be avoided.

you can find cheap ebay cast log manifolds that move the wastegate flange to a central location, but generally this will force you to cut and reweld the dowpipe to fit again.
What should I keep an eye out for when going with an ebay kit? Are there other, better D16A6 kits out there? Not trying to break the bank, my budget is probably a little under 3 grand for the entire build itself.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
if you got around 3 grand, you can piece together a much better kit than the ebay stuff.

Figure out what you want.

All the parts that come into place are based around the power you want and the response of the system you want.

at a minimum, one grand is tuning. hondata s300 or equivalent, any wiring conversions necessary, wideband kit, gauges, the parts required to add an oil pressure sensor and gauge, etc..

LOTS to think about.

read the turbo FAQ on this site. link it in a post to prove you have read it.

·
Banned
5spd EF Civic Si
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you got around 3 grand, you can piece together a much better kit than the ebay stuff.

Figure out what you want.

All the parts that come into place are based around the power you want and the response of the system you want.

at a minimum, one grand is tuning. hondata s300 or equivalent, any wiring conversions necessary, wideband kit, gauges, the parts required to add an oil pressure sensor and gauge, etc..

LOTS to think about.

read the turbo FAQ on this site. link it in a post to prove you have read it.
i cant post links, but its the "Turbo FAQ" by Sonny7730

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
i cant post links, but its the "Turbo FAQ" by Sonny7730

yup.

sorry, just wanted to kinda force a "notice" so to speak of seeing that FAQ thread.

Couple people show up on here often with open hands and no shoes, if you catch my drift.

But again, I ask what are you looking for?

200whp is a very reasonable starting point, even if you build the motor.

300whp will require brakes and suspension work, or else the setup will be uncontrollable even for an experienced driver.

If you go small and shoot for a super responsive 150-170whp, you can get a really good idea of a turbo setup, how it behaves, and use it as the backbone of a new experience.

I say read several turbo build threads, get an idea of how people are using their setups, what they like, what they hate, etc...

Get a good overall picture.

a turbo setup is not an investment, and it would suck if you got halfway through only to find you got bored or such.

This is also why I say start with a tuning package and wideband. Get an idea of how Honda tuned their cars form the factory. learn how they applied the enrichments like throttle tip in, coolant temp charts, intake air charts, etc..

going forced induction is a headache, but the rewards are there if you take your time and learn as much as you can!!

Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
If your goal is highway runs with friends, I don't think a D16 is the best fit for you.

I'd suggest looking at B/H/K swaps with boost.

Swapping the engine will get you were a D will be with boost and once you are over that hurdle you'll have more experience with the car and engine. Then boost.

My stock B16B swapped CRX moves really good for being under 2000lbs and ~170whp.

·
Banned
5spd EF Civic Si
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yup.

sorry, just wanted to kinda force a "notice" so to speak of seeing that FAQ thread.

Couple people show up on here often with open hands and no shoes, if you catch my drift.

But again, I ask what are you looking for?

200whp is a very reasonable starting point, even if you build the motor.

300whp will require brakes and suspension work, or else the setup will be uncontrollable even for an experienced driver.

If you go small and shoot for a super responsive 150-170whp, you can get a really good idea of a turbo setup, how it behaves, and use it as the backbone of a new experience.

I say read several turbo build threads, get an idea of how people are using their setups, what they like, what they hate, etc...

Get a good overall picture.

a turbo setup is not an investment, and it would suck if you got halfway through only to find you got bored or such.

This is also why I say start with a tuning package and wideband. Get an idea of how Honda tuned their cars form the factory. learn how they applied the enrichments like throttle tip in, coolant temp charts, intake air charts, etc..

going forced induction is a headache, but the rewards are there if you take your time and learn as much as you can!!
yeah, im only really aiming for 180, maybe a bit more but i want it to be a comfortable daily. i dont really have any dynos around here so im gonna have to go off self tuning and thinking around 10psi, maybe less.

·
Banned
5spd EF Civic Si
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If your goal is highway runs with friends, I don't think a D16 is the best fit for you.

I'd suggest looking at B/H/K swaps with boost.

Swapping the engine will get you were a D will be with boost and once you are over that hurdle you'll have more experience with the car and engine. Then boost.

My stock B16B swapped CRX moves really good for being under 2000lbs and ~170whp.

yeah, i get what youre saying but i think im gonna have a bit more fun building my d16. also because it is my daily and i do need to drive it, dont really have quite the time to do an engine swap. i know a turbo isnt an afternoon job either, but yanno.

·
Tape-R taper/driver
EC3, ED8, ED9, EE5
574 Posts
200hp on the highway isn't going to do what you want.

If you have all of the parts, you should be able to perform the complete swap over a weekend. That gives you the chance to collect and build while still having the car drivable.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
a swap is far faster than a turbo install.

also, a swap means you are merely exchanging slow honda reliability for faster honda reliability

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.